Welding repair to Bush Hog question ????

/ Welding repair to Bush Hog question ???? #1  

brin

Georgia - Mt. Vernon by The Store just 5 miles eas
I hit something with my bush hog and it caused a 1/8th to 1/4 inch split on each side of and on the front of the Bush Hog deck ...each split about 6 inches long...I am going to weld and fill the gap...

My questions are...do I have to take the bush hog off the tractor before I mig weld the bush hog ? Will I ruin the electrical system on the tractor by leaving the bush hog on....? It will be easier to leave it on since I can raise it up to waist high and not have to get down on the ground...Do I have to disconnect the battery...?

Next question....I have some 1/8 inch thick by 1/2 inch wide strip of steel plate about 3 ft. long...would I be better off welding a piece of this on each split on the bush hog deck or just welding the split...??

Thanks in advance...I don't want to make any expensive mistakes here ;)

/ Welding repair to Bush Hog question ???? #2  
I have no problems welding on attachments still connected to the tractor, just keep the ground near the welds.
I prefer to put strips over cracks, more welding surface and less stress on the metal.
Good luck

E/S

/ Welding repair to Bush Hog question ???? #4  
I would drill a hole at each end of the cracks. Start your weld on one of the holes, weld to the center of the crack. Feather out that stop with your grinder, start at the other drilled hole and weld to the first weld's stop. Be sure to fill the crater full.

/ Welding repair to Bush Hog question ???? #5  
Hi Bob, be sure to clean the splits really well, Grinder/flap wheel/wire wheel. be sure to clean the inside too if possible, you don't need the fire and smoke from the hot dried grass on the inside.. As you know MIG welds really need clean metal. All welding process profit from clean metal, but stick with some 6011 is more forgiving of the dirt, paint and rust. I would drill the holes at the end of the crack and weld like shield arc mentioned, but I would also probably put a scab plate (the metal strips you mentioned ) over it too, Cant hurt and will help reinforce what is probably a weak area to begin with.

Just make sure you grind a nice shiny place to clamp the ground real close to the weld areas and I think you will be fine.. Be safe and have fun. Take pictures!

/ Welding repair to Bush Hog question ????
I would drill a hole at each end of the cracks. Start your weld on one of the holes, weld to the center of the crack. Feather out that stop with your grinder, start at the other drilled hole and weld to the first weld's stop. Be sure to fill the crater full.

Hi Bob, be sure to clean the splits really well, Grinder/flap wheel/wire wheel. be sure to clean the inside too if possible, you don't need the fire and smoke from the hot dried grass on the inside.. As you know MIG welds really need clean metal. All welding process profit from clean metal, but stick with some 6011 is more forgiving of the dirt, paint and rust. I would drill the holes at the end of the crack and weld like shield arc mentioned, but I would also probably put a scab plate (the metal strips you mentioned ) over it too, Cant hurt and will help reinforce what is probably a weak area to begin with.

Just make sure you grind a nice shiny place to clamp the ground real close to the weld areas and I think you will be fine.. Be safe and have fun. Take pictures!

Thanks, You guys are great....this makes me feel like I have a fighting chance of making this work...remember my only projects up until now with the mig was to fix my sons Rake and a shovel I had...I know this is small to you fellas but I am really looking forward to fixing this bush hog....I told my Mrs. I could buy the welder for what a welding service would charge me to weld the bush hog...I want to prove I was right...the Mig welder...barely used cost me $100.00 & I am sure a prof. welder would charge that much or more to fix this bush hog...? Am I right ? I don't want to mislead the Mrs...

Thanks again guys..

/ Welding repair to Bush Hog question ???? #7  
If you're going to add the plates, radius the ends of the plates, or cut them to a point. Don't leave them with 90-degree corners!

/ Welding repair to Bush Hog question ???? #8  
is this a crack, or a gash?

DO put the ground clamp on the deck, and you will be fine.

DON'T put the ground clamp on the tractors front end.

/ Welding repair to Bush Hog question ???? #9  
If you're going to add the plates, radius the ends of the plates, or cut them to a point. Don't leave them with 90-degree corners!

Just learning, why? I am assuming stress point but I had something professionally patched and it was the same deal, round ends.