Welding a bucket extension on my Kubota BX2660

/ Welding a bucket extension on my Kubota BX2660 #1  

wawajake

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota BX2660 , Kubota RTV X1100C
So I want to extend the bucket on my FEl on my BX2660 (4 ft bucket) I find in the winter moving snow the bucket could handle more that now falls off the sides and back , also in the summer for moving topsoil or woodchips.
So I stopped by the "traders metal" and got to raid their scrap bin of random pieces of 1/8 inch mild steel.
I plan on extending sides maybe 4 or 5 inches deeper and at the top I will do either expanded metal in a frame (so I can see thru ) or just add 4 or 5 inches of metal with a frame of 1 1/2 inch angle steel with 1/ 8 plate inserted.
I will use my trusty Lincoln tombstone AC stick welder , I have on hand 6011, 6013 and 7018 rod, both in 1/8 size and 3/32 size I think and some 7014 in 1/8 size that I most comfortable with ussually.

So if I take the bucket off and stick to horizontal welding to the 1/8 metal bucket, what amps and welding rod should work best . Also should I just tack weld stitches or should I do complete welds . I assume if complete welds then I shuld tack and stitch , while letting it cool alternatively around the area . I figure on using 6 inch wide 1/8 inch plate so that it overlaps the bucket by at least one or two inches.
I will round and grind the extension plate before attaching so no 90 degree corners to curl with heat.
thoughts anyone ?

/ Welding a bucket extension on my Kubota BX2660
Your bucket job was a much bigger project than I am doing............and sadly I don't have near the tools or welding equipment you use...........but any advice re: AC tombstone suggested Amp setting and rods to use and stitch versus complete weld around all edges would be much appreciated.

/ Welding a bucket extension on my Kubota BX2660 #4  
I don't use AC, other than Tig welding aluminum. For something that is going have to with stand impacts like a FEL bucket I'd use 3/32-inch 7018. I would weld all the way around, on something thin like this I would back step my welds and skip around a lot to help control warpage. ;)

/ Welding a bucket extension on my Kubota BX2660 #5  
Set you heat by running some beads on scrap. I would put 2" long welds spaced about 6" apart and then go back and fill in between them after they've cooled to help lessen warping from the heat. You might want to clamp or tack some heavy angle iron to the bucket and your extensions to keep everything lined up straight.

thanks everyone.........I will start with cardboard templates and then go crazy with the cuttoff wheel, and then the welding, and if it goes well maybe even paint it orange ( and to hide my welds :)

So by using the 1/8 inch scrap metal and where needed stitching together some scrap angle iron .........this is the result....not a work of art but built my confidence.... welds are ragged but made sure I had penetration.

My primary purpose was to be able to hold more snow when I am removing snowbanks , when I found too much was falling off the front and back of bucket. So this added 6 inches to back and added 6inches tappered to 0 inches on sides. By the end of the project I was finally getting comfortable with 6013 rod 3/32 , with some 7014 used for bigger thicknesses. Total cost ........15 dollars worth of rod, and a new solar self dim welding helmet $99.00.

Bucket should help with wood chips too , note I had to leave hole in centre where my hitch receiver comes thru.It bolts on using the toothbar bolts and two other bolt holes I already had for hooks.

Attachments

• DSCN1468.JPG
    DSCN1468.JPG
    959.3 KB · Views: 519
  • DSCN1470.jpg
    DSCN1470.jpg
    708 KB · Views: 367
  • DSCN1469.jpg
    DSCN1469.jpg
    480.1 KB · Views: 1,193
   / Welding a bucket extension on my Kubota BX2660 #8  
Looks really good!:thumbsup: The double angle iron should stiffen the top edge nicely.

/ Welding a bucket extension on my Kubota BX2660 #9  
Good job Jake, looks great!

thanks guys..............it took a bit of patience, especcially when my first task was to join two pieces of 1/8 inch scrap angle iron but after burning thru a few holes andhaving to slowly fill back in..... and then reading on this Welding section of TBN about how to prevent that, I started to make progress. My woodworking projects allow me to fill my mistakes with putty or add fasteners, wheras welding requires better finesse.......I need to work on finesse!!!!!! , because it is not as easy to just go cut another piece of steel when you ruin one. :) part of the reason for the second layer of angle iron was to cover the first one scabbed together embarrassingly and to add strength.