7018 use on cast iron

/ 7018 use on cast iron #1  

gwdixon

Elite Member
Boy, going through the posts and searching the Internet sure has conflicting advice on using 7018 for cast iron!

An old Mott flail mower that I sold to my neighbor had a Zerk guard on the roller snap at the single mounting hole. It is about 6" long and 2" wide.

The break looks to be the grainy structure of cast iron but it could be cast steel. It is not a load-bearing or vital piece for the operation of the implement. In fact, I took off the remainder of the broken piece and told him to get back to mowing and I'd come up with something for a repair. (Photos soon.)

So now I'm looking for you experts to bail me out.

I want to avoid brazing and he wants to avoid a high dollar repair rod (nickel, Certanium, and the like). The piece does run in the dirt on occasion.

So here is my plan and criticism is welcomed:

>Bevel the broken edges on both sides.
>Tack the two pieces together.
>Heat the heck out of it with a propane weed torch.
>Weld 1/2" to 3/4" lengths of 3/32" 7018 at 80 amps and immediately peen with an air powered needle scaler.
>Repeat on both sides until the bevels are filled.
>Bury the finished piece in a galvanized bucket of sand to cool.
>Grind the mounting side weld flat to allow installation.

Another issue with the piece is that a small chunk was lost when the break happened. Can that be filled with 7018 using the method above?

Thanks ahead for feedback.

EDIT: Forgot to mention that DC stick welding is my preferred method. Well, I do have O/A and a 110 Hobart flux-core.

Last edited:
   / 7018 use on cast iron #2  
Nickel rod isn't that much, it will be brittle and easily break off if you use. 7018 .Just my thoughts and previous experiences

/ 7018 use on cast iron #3  
I have some cast iron rods that I bought years ago. Don't recall them being all that expensive....wouldn't have been able to afford them. However, I never used them so I can't attest to their functionality. Can't help you with 7018 even though that in the 3/32 is my rod of choice for most all my stick work.

Mark

/ 7018 use on cast iron #4  
I use to get stuck repairing cast steel pile driving equipment. Started out using Super Missileweld, then went to 312-Stainless steel, then to 7018.
If you have cast iron, or cast steel I'd pre-heat to at least 300-degrees, and do everything you listed above.
Super Missileweld | The Harris Products Group

/ 7018 use on cast iron
Thanks for the replies. It looks like I'd only need one, or maybe two, of the Ni99 rods but they run about $3 each nowadays and are sold in packs of 10 (at Tractor Supply).

Thanks ShieldArc, at least someone has done such a repair with 7018. Not that my skills approach yours at all but it gives me some confidence to give the project a try.:thumbsup:

Here are photos mentioned in the OP:
View attachment 373143
View attachment 373144
View attachment 373145
View attachment 373146

/ 7018 use on cast iron #7  
No, I've never used 7018 to repair cast IRON, only cast STEEL!

/ 7018 use on cast iron
Did you see the repair that Chucke2009 did on his cast iron vise with 7018?

Stick Welding Cast Iron with 7018 - YouTube

Yes, I've watched that video a couple of times. He put plenty of torque on that vice for just welding around the outside of the main shaft (whatever it is called).

It seems he did not know for sure if it was cast steel or cast iron or maybe that comment was in the discussion section on YouTube.