Stick Welding 101 - AC Buzzbox and 5/32 7018

/ Stick Welding 101 - AC Buzzbox and 5/32 7018 #31  
   / Stick Welding 101 - AC Buzzbox and 5/32 7018 #32  
I'll bet :D

/ Stick Welding 101 - AC Buzzbox and 5/32 7018
Yea, I meant to take pictures after I cleaned it up with the wire wheel but I got going and didn't remember until I shut off the grinder at the end. Will try to do better next time.
I tried lower amps with the 6011, it kept sticking or wouldn't even spark (although that may have been a ground issue, I dug out the grinder with the wire wheel after the first 6011 pass and I cleaned up where I was putting the ground clamp with that (had just used a hand held brush to clean it up at first) and it was easier to strike an arc).
I was playing around more than really worrying about strength as this just has to keep the hitch pin from falling off.

The back side was hot enough to discolor the inside of the tube, the front wasnt.

Need to stop by the fab shop down the road and get some of their small cutoff pieces to practice on. Everything I have is "too nice" to use as practice pieces.

Aaron Z

/ Stick Welding 101 - AC Buzzbox and 5/32 7018 #34  
It sounds like you're running too hot for the rods you are using. The dial on the machine is only for reference but 1/8" 6011 at 115 amps is about 5-10 amps too hot .

And don't forget that your input voltage may vary from place to place. I've seen as high as 244, and as low as 200.

And like you hinted at, what the dial says and what you are getting can be quite diffrent.

Even the new inverters can be off a little. I measured 5 amps high on one of my small welders, and 5 amps low on the other.

Not that it matters. If it's too cold, turn it up. If it's too hot, turn it down.

/ Stick Welding 101 - AC Buzzbox and 5/32 7018 #35  
225 amps is still about 60 amps more than normal for 5/32" 7018. Aczlan, you should see if there is a welding course or an experienced welder that could show you some ways to improve your welding. Your welding machine is probably part of the problem.

225 amps is still about 60 amps more than normal for 5/32" 7018. Aczlan, you should see if there is a welding course or an experienced welder that could show you some ways to improve your welding.
I know of a couple good welders and I would love to go to a class, but I won't have enough time available for a class until August and the welders I know are generally too busy to do much extra during the summer.
I'll stop in at the fab shop down the road one of these days and get some scrap to practice on.

Your welding machine is probably part of the problem.
I am sure it is, the price was right though and I am getting better at striking an arc. I must say that the neighbor's Millermatic 211 is much easier to use :D

Aaron Z

/ Stick Welding 101 - AC Buzzbox and 5/32 7018 #37  
Untill then, get some clean scrap and some 1/8" 6013 and 6011 rods and just practice striking arcs.. once you get that, then start practicing actually joining metal. If the tombstone is functioning properly.. it is more than sufficient to make a weld. l practice in position.. dont worry about any out of position stuff tll you get some practice.. then you can try other rods for out of position welding that will help you.

Untill then, get some clean scrap and some 1/8" 6013 and 6011 rods and just practice striking arcs.. once you get that, then start practicing actually joining metal. If the tombstone is functioning properly.. it is more than sufficient to make a weld. l practice in position.. dont worry about any out of position stuff tll you get some practice.. then you can try other rods for out of position welding that will help you.
How about a landscape trailer ramp that needed the expanded metal welded back on (3/32nds 6011, I was generally somewhere between 70 and 115 amps (per the dial, need to bring my clamp amp meter next time) depending on how much rod was left):
IMAG0377.jpg

IMAG0381.jpg IMAG0380.jpg IMAG0378.jpg IMAG0383.jpg IMAG0384.jpg IMAG0387.jpg

Or a piece of pipe that needed to be welded to make some H braces (3/32nds 6011, I was using between 90 and 115 amps (per the dial) depending on how much rod was left):
Clamped it, then tacked it:
IMAG0363.jpg IMAG0364.jpg

IMAG0371.jpg IMAG0369.jpg IMAG0368.jpg IMAG0365.jpg IMAG0367.jpg IMAG0374.jpg

A hole in the pipe (before/after) and a blowthrough that I fixed:
IMAG0366.jpg IMAG0370.jpg IMAG0372.jpg

Aaron Z

/ Stick Welding 101 - AC Buzzbox and 5/32 7018 #39  
I have always heard that 7018 with black numbers is for dc and the red numbers could be used ac or dc. Is there any truth to this. I have never owned an ac machine and everything at work is dc.

/ Stick Welding 101 - AC Buzzbox and 5/32 7018 #40  
I'd say it's false. I've never seen red numbers on rods. 7018 has always been an AC/DC rod but 7018AC is designed to weld easier on AC.

Aczlan, that looks like galvanized pipe. Definitely not the stuff to be learning how to weld on unless you want to get sick :thumbdown: