Which high dollar welding machine is right for me?

/ Which high dollar welding machine is right for me? #1  

rustyshakelford

Veteran Member
Tractor
Deere 5100E/H260/MX15
Looking to build a shop in the next year or so and will begin gathering supplies soon. I have about talked myself into using oil field pipe to build it out of instead of 6"x6" wood. My thinking is that I will be able to move at my own pace without worrying about the wood warping before I get the tin up.

I had initially planned on buying a Miller 252 machine for the shop but since I will be needing to weld the pipe together and the wall height is 14', I don't know if a mig machine is right for me. Also, I wont have dedicated power for a big 220 machine. I will be using at least 3.5" pipe for the posts and possibly 2 7/8" for everything else. I am concerned about the drill stem being magnetized. I initially liked the miller bobcat 225 or 250. Figured id rather have access to AC welding for the pipe worst case (know nothing about it yet). Then I began checking out the Lincoln line. The ranger 225 and 250. The 250 GXT does both AC/DC. Engine driven and the ability to have some reach is appealing but the leads are high dollar!

what would yalls recommendations be for a welder. I will have projects when the shop is complete and will just get a smaller mig machine for smaller projects too. Don't want to spend more than about 4k worst care and if that would have leads, all the better. will probably keep it in my truck until the project is over so it wont be moved much. Looked at the 305 and its only DC, read AC might work for mag pipe, besides that I don't know.

thanks

brett

/ Which high dollar welding machine is right for me? #2  
I welded steel piling for years and years. Never once had an AC welding machine.
There are ways to combat arc blow.
Change welding directions.
Wrap your ground lead around the pipe, switch directions if the first direction doesn't work.
Beat on the pipe with a sledge hammer
Heat the weld zone to a dull red with a torch.

Preventing Arc Blow

/ Which high dollar welding machine is right for me? #3  
Just wrap you leads around the pipe. You may be unduly concerned about arc blow. But your construction sounds too light for the size and height of your shop. If you have drill pipe, great, but I wouldn't use it for anything more than tables. Notching, and everything to get a proper weld will be a night mare. I'd suggest looking and using square tubing if nothing else. For posts, you'd still need something like 6x6 pipe, possibly 4x4 sq. tubing.

/ Which high dollar welding machine is right for me? #4  
I used 4"x4"x1/4" wall sq. tubing. These were welded to 6"x6" x1/2" anchor plates in-bedded in the concrete. I have 2'x3' piers under each post.
I would think it would be hard to attach your metal to drill pipe.

027.JPG

Last edited:
   / Which high dollar welding machine is right for me?
My plan was to auger 5' holes and set the 3.5" pipe in concrete. Weld on the purlins and build trusses out of the 2 7/8" pipe. No y'all have me second guessing the strength. I don't want to take short cuts or not have it be stout. We have no snow load to worry about. The size is 40x60x14. Would like to tinker with it and pay cash as I go since I'm building my bride her dream home at the same time. I think y'all are right about overly worrying about magnetized pipe and I have heard about the ground wrapping trick.

With that in mind, any welders jump out as a great option for my use?

Brett

/ Which high dollar welding machine is right for me?
Just wrap you leads around the pipe. You may be unduly concerned about arc blow. But your construction sounds too light for the size and height of your shop. If you have drill pipe, great, but I wouldn't use it for anything more than tables. Notching, and everything to get a proper weld will be a night mare. I'd suggest looking and using square tubing if nothing else. For posts, you'd still need something like 6x6 pipe, possibly 4x4 sq. tubing.

Thanks for not rubbing it in about missing out on the deal of a lifetime on amazon for one of y'all's awesome welders. I could've made that work if I had gotten that deal. I was a couple hours late! Great input also!

Brett

/ Which high dollar welding machine is right for me? #7  
   / Which high dollar welding machine is right for me? #8  
Drill stem isn't designed for structural use and most counties would require engineer drawings and approvals for any type of building larger than a shed. Magnetic drill stem may cause arc blow at lesser amps than normal but usually arc blow doesn't occur until burning rods over 5/32". If you are approved to use drill stem, I would guess you'd probably be using 1/8" rods and properly coped joints. That's a lot of cutting and fitting. 95% of welding trucks in the last 70+ years have only had a DC welder.

/ Which high dollar welding machine is right for me? #9  
Drill stem pipe used to be really cheap, but now I don't find the advertised prices that great. I would much rather opt for good structural steel. Have you priced out the red iron prefabbed steel buildings. They may not be a much greater price than what it will cost you in drill stem, although you would need to buy the whole building at once which may upset your budget.

/ Which high dollar welding machine is right for me? #10  
When looking for a machine to use it doesn't matter the diameter of the pipe or square tube. It is the wall thickness that will determine the amperage you will need to do the job. As the duty cycle of the machine you are looking at goes up so does the price. Because you think you will be welding up in the trusses you might consider a spool-on gun. You might be able to sell it when you finish the construction of the building.