Good Bench Grinder

/ Good Bench Grinder
I am going to look at the 8" craftsman today Craftsman Variable Speed 8 Bench Grinder: Power Up With DealsSears if I get some time. They have one with a wire wheel and a grinding stone that is variable speed for $120. It got OK reviews, at least better than the dewalt. Next would be a Jet 8" with 1 HP that has pretty good reviews but it jumps up to $250.

/ Good Bench Grinder #12  
I have the 8 inch Harbor Freight, I got about 15 years ago, and it works pretty well. You know how you always take a risk buying a Harbor Freight electrical tool. But this one has been good. But I have found recently it is easier to put a mower blade in a vise and go over it with a flap disk on the 4 1/2 angle grinder. I think I have better control, and the end result is better, but that is just me.

/ Good Bench Grinder #13  
I'm happy with my Baldor 7" grinder, but paid about $400.00 for it 30 years ago. It was a huge splurge at the time. They are about the same price today, but who knows about the quality.

/ Good Bench Grinder #14  
Bird, that may well have been the name of the Tool Show...they came every yr. had a big ad in the local paper announcing the dates and usually they had their display at the American Legion Hall....Much of the stuff was just plain junk...almost all from China I would expect...but that bench grinder has lasted all these yrs...kinda scary to use with no clutch...I would not want to walk away and let it run...I wonder what ever happened those traveling tool shows...?

Around here they were Cummings tools. Same MO. Flyers, and a big trailer in the local rent-a-hall.

They haven't been arround since Harbor Freight came into the area.

/ Good Bench Grinder #15  
Bird, that may well have been the name of the Tool Show...they came every yr. had a big ad in the local paper announcing the dates and usually they had their display at the American Legion Hall....Much of the stuff was just plain junk...almost all from China I would expect...but that bench grinder has lasted all these yrs...kinda scary to use with no clutch...I would not want to walk away and let it run...I wonder what ever happened those traveling tool shows...?

I don't know if I've ever seen a bench grinder with a clutch. Can you give an example of a model with a clutch?

/ Good Bench Grinder #16  
I recently went through the process of elimination for finding a decent bench grinder. I settled for a 7" Metabo, and am happy with it. Metabo DS 175 7-Inch Bench Grinder - Power Bench Grinders - Amazon.com

If you could afford to upgrade, the 8" gets better reviews for a little more money. Metabo DS 200 8-Inch Bench Grinder - Power Bench Grinders - Amazon.com

Like I said, I like the one I purchased, and I've since upgraded to a Norton wheel on one side and a 7" wire wheel on the other side. Happy with the way it runs, and I use one side to sharpen tungsten and the other side to clean mill scale.

/ Good Bench Grinder
Wade, Thanks for the suggestions. I read all of the reviews and that looks to be a good grinder with very few complaints. The only thing that worries me is everyone mentioned it needs a wheel with a 1 1/4" hole to fit the bushing. How did you get the wire wheel to fit on yours? Did you have spacer made as others have mentioned?

/ Good Bench Grinder #18  
Wade, Thanks for the suggestions. I read all of the reviews and that looks to be a good grinder with very few complaints. The only thing that worries me is everyone mentioned it needs a wheel with a 1 1/4" hole to fit the bushing. How did you get the wire wheel to fit on yours? Did you have spacer made as others have mentioned?

I think the larger hole makes the stones and wheels less likely to run out. I like the mounting system on the Metabo. I ordered my wire wheel from amazon:

Walter 13B070 Crimped Wire Stringer Bead Wheel Brush, Round Hole, Carbon Steel, 7" Diameter, 0.0118" Wire Diameter, 1-1/4" Arbor, 6000 Maximum RPM, Orange: Abrasive Wheel Brushes: Amazon.com: Industrial & Scientific

The machine guard is removed for the wire wheel on mine, as it is too wide to fit inside the guard. If you wanted, you could go with a thinner wire wheel and keep the guard.

You can get anything you want to fit the Metabo from McMaster-Carr though.

/ Good Bench Grinder #19  
I also have the 8 inch grinder for a couple of years and I have had no problems.
I have the 8 inch Harbor Freight, I got about 15 years ago, and it works pretty well. You know how you always take a risk buying a Harbor Freight electrical tool. But this one has been good. But I have found recently it is easier to put a mower blade in a vise and go over it with a flap disk on the 4 1/2 angle grinder. I think I have better control, and the end result is better, but that is just me.

/ Good Bench Grinder
I think the larger hole makes the stones and wheels less likely to run out. I like the mounting system on the Metabo. I ordered my wire wheel from amazon:

You can get anything you want to fit the Metabo from McMaster-Carr though.

I found an 8" version of the wire wheel as well so that is good. The price of the wheels is more than the smaller arbor sizes but hopefully they are good quality.

I found any wheel you could want on the McMaster-Carr site. I will have to bookmark that site, never knew it was out there but looks like it has about anything you would need.

You may have just pushed me to get the Metabo.