Improving your welding?

/ Improving your welding? #1  

Arc weld

Veteran Member
Tractor
MF 135
There seems to be a debate going on so I thought I would ask what the members on here think. This will help me decide if I can offer any help or not. Would you prefer advice from experienced professionals who weld(ed) for a living or would you prefer advice from people who are hobbyists with no formal training? Doesn't matter to me one way or the other but since this is member forum, I'd like see what the members prefer. :confused:

/ Improving your welding? #2  
I prefer that anyone with solid knowledge give me advice.
It just so happens that it is often experienced pros.

I also like to try and follow this advice:
"In my walks, every man I meet is in some way my superior; and in that I can learn of him."
~Ralph Waldo Emerson~

...but sometimes people make it hard to follow...

/ Improving your welding? #3  
Professional.
From a hack hobbiest.

/ Improving your welding? #4  
I prefer that anyone with solid knowledge give me advice.
It just so happens that it is often experienced pros.

I also like to try and follow this advice:
"In my walks, every man I meet is in some way my superior; and in that I can learn of him."
~Ralph Waldo Emerson~

...but sometimes people make it hard to follow...
Ditto. I like to know where (not if) my welds could use improvement even if the weld is "good enough" to get the job done this time, next time it might not be.

Aaron Z

/ Improving your welding? #5  
Ditto. I like to know where (not if) my welds could use improvement even if the weld is "good enough" to get the job done this time, next time it might not be.

Aaron Z

+1 on that one

/ Improving your welding? #6  
I am always looking to improve in everything I do. Sometimes I can figure a better way myself. Sometimes I need a little help getting there. An experienced pro can make figuring out how to improve easier and faster. Had an hour long talk with pro welder last Sunday and learned lots. I've learned from amatures as well. I appreciate any pro giving time and energy to help amatures improve their knowledge and skills.

/ Improving your welding? #7  
Why does it have to be only one or the other choice. It is a public forum, so there will always be good info and bad info whether it be from a pro or a hobbyist.

As in the real world: There is a place for both groups. I want the pro's doing my nuclear reactors, hazardous chemical pipelines, petroleum lines, vehicle hitches, cargo trailers, etc. Hack's like me are fine for non-critical repairs to stuff where no one is going o get injured if it is done incorrectly or fails. I am not a pro basketball player either, but it certainly does not mean that I do not enjoy playing the game anyhow.

The key is reading the posts and pretty soon people with some sense will likely choose who to trust and who to basically ignore. I read many posts that I never respond to both from the pros as well as the hobbyists simply because I enjoy reading them.. I also skip posts by some posters whom I do not care to waste my time on. Can not go by post counts either. Not so much on this forum, but on another forum that I frequent I soon learned to skip over the most prolific poster on that board. Frankly, there was never anything worthwhile in any of his posts. Useless posts about absolutely nothing - a pure waste of my time.

/ Improving your welding? #8  
There seems to be a debate going on so I thought I would ask what the members on here think. This will help me decide if I can offer any help or not. Would you prefer advice from experienced professionals who weld(ed) for a living or would you prefer advice from people who are hobbyists with no formal training? Doesn't matter to me one way or the other but since this is member forum, I'd like see what the members prefer. :confused:

If you are never satisfied with the level of skill and knowledge that you have you will always be striving to improve upon both your skills and your knowledge.

I know that you can help the majority of us.
I have seen you do it.
Please continue to do so.

I want my advice from those that have similar values of workmanship and professionalism whoever they are. You sir are one of those folks.:thumbsup::thumbsup:

/ Improving your welding?
Thanks Furu. I was very fortunate to have an awesome welding teacher in high school. I really sucked when I first tried welding but was always fascinated by what you could build with metal.

I've learned all kinds of things from all kinds of people, either beginners or seasoned pro's. You can learn a lot from someone who's done something you've never done before. I guess what I was getting at is do the members on this forum have a good enough attitude or are they wanting to do the best they can and keep improving? Since it has been suggested that this is a hobbyist/farmer forum, is the good enough approach acceptable? If it is, maybe there's no need for us welder pigs with 30 year old scar tissue? :duh: