Welding and age

/ Welding and age #1  

pmsmechanic

Elite Member
Tractor
4410 and F-935 John Deere, MF 245
I have done a lot of welding through the years and am finding as I get older that it's harder to see what I'm doing in order to lay a steady good quality bead. Just wondering what others have done to counter act the effects of age on eyesight and steady hands as I can't do the same quality of job that I used to and it's frustrating at times. I already use two hands when I can and an auto darkening helmet, both of which help quite a bit.

/ Welding and age #2  
Have the same problem, can't see worth a crap and my handwriting has always sucked.

I counter it with things I can control: good fitup, clean surfaces, beveled edges, high as possible heat, use a 240 VAC machine (Oops,now I've done it!) and try to really burn the weld in for good penetration.

Even then, I usually end up with a parkinson's-looking welds. :(

Last edited:
   / Welding and age #4  
The type of glasses/contacts you wear can make a huge difference.
My bifocals force me to tip my head up to see the puddle as I weld.
This allows lots of the fumes flow between my nose and the mask.
After getting gassed a few times I decided things had to change.
So I've started using "cheaters" and that seems to work a lot better for seeing the puddle.
Problem is it makes finding anything beyond arm's reach in the shop a challenge.
So having everything organized & at hand before commencing to spark off becomes key to being able to get anything done in a reasonable time.

Let's hope some of the guys who "weld for money" will chime in with how they deal with this problem.
I suspect it's more common than you might think.

/ Welding and age #6  
I wear progressive lens glasses so the top portion of the lens, which is what's used when wearing a hood, is only good for long distance vision. The fix is to add an inside magnifying lens that many mfg's of helmets offer. That, along with my glasses, gives me very good close up vision with the autodarkening hood. Add a good strong light above the welding table and you are in business . . . well, except for the shaky hand thing.

bumper

/ Welding and age #7  
I try to get as much light on the weld area as possible. Out in the sun if possible, or I have a powerful shoplight what little I do inside (mostly TIG). I have to try to look thru my bifocals. Practice practice..

/ Welding and age #8  
What excuse would I have for the appearance of my welds if I found a fix for poor eyesight & shaky hands:confused:

/ Welding and age #10  
light light and more light 100 watt bulbs ... go one shade lighter on the lens ...

as for the shaky hands .... they make mall sticks ( hand steadier for painters ) why not use a similar wooden stick ... or use both hands