Everlast 200 Stick review.. Kinda

/ Everlast 200 Stick review.. Kinda #1  

woodlandfarms

Tractor
PowerTrac 1850, Kubota RTV x900
OK, So I called mark seeking a plasma cutter. At the end of the day he had sold me on a 40 plasma, and a 200 Stick. Just so it has been said, he has jammed me up with the wife something fierce.

So the thing to know is that I am not a welder. I am a guy who applies heat two pieces of metal with some sort of box and a glowing stick and if it holds, I consider myself fortunate. I have had no training, and have been told repeatedly that my welds look like a parkinsons patients hard work. Take what I say with, well it is my opinion and i think it counts, but it is just my opinion.

As for my gear, I have a lincoln tombstone that was used when I got it and I loved it. I got a Lincoln 180C last year and love it. But I am not very good at either.

So today one box arrived. Much quicker than I thought it would. Looks like it shipped from SFO. It was my 200 stick. I would say that my only complaint here,and it is a good thing for Mark, is that stock seems to be an issue. They seem to be selling lots of product, upside, but my Plasma is back ordered, downside. Not a huge complaint, but a bit of a bummer.

I unpacked the box. Not much to report. Leads, clamps. usual stuff that looks comparable to the other sticks i have seen. One big plus was the inclusion of a 110V adapter. I was planning to make one myself and the cost would have been upwards of $50. First thing I noticed is that it is really, really, really small Now I have been lugging my Lincoln for 7 years. Its a friggin beast. And the 180c, while not a Miller 252, has some weight with the big spools. Small makes me nervous. Just being honest. I think of 240 volts being converted into something magical and wonder about the cooling. But if I were to strip out my 180C it would probably be the same when you break it down weight and size wise. I think I am just being overly concerned on this issue. Manual is thin. I think a bit too thin. In giving 2 cents when no one asked for it, Everlast probably sells a lot to the beginning to middle grade welder. They don't take into consideration the guy looking at this and going WTF. The manual doesn't really cover much.

So anyway, I have three more complaints about the machine but will get to them shortly. I plugged in cables, Clamp on positive, Stick holder on Negative. Plugged the machine in and looked for the on off switch. Well the on off is a breaker on the back of the machine. I have to say I am thrown by this. First being a breaker but second there is a switch on the front that looks like an on/off switch and it is really just a switch for Tig / Stick. I dunno. I kinda want the on off on the front. I know my Lincoln is on teh back, but I attributed it as a way to remind you to get the gas. Anyway, Grabbed up some 1/8 6011, set the machine to 100 and struck the arc. OK, I am not kidding here, It was amazing for a moron like me. It struck, it didn't stick, it was way way way way cool. Right then I decided that my Lincoln was going on craigslist.

So I am not going to comment on the weld itself. There is too much I do not know about welding to give any rational review. I will say this, however. I had the leads backwards. Everything splattered. I was welding on 1/8 Scrap. Angle Iron. I had a **** of a time not melting through the metal. I turned the machine down much lower and got the leads worked out and the 6011 was OK. not pretty, very messy. After burning a rod I went and grabbed my "stash" these are 1/8 rods with three green markings on them. I got them from my uncle. I have no idea (I assume 7014 or 7018 but I do not know). All I know is that they burn different. I would say smooth. Well, putting them on this machine was really great. I was so very very impressed. Still melting through the 1/8 a bit but I can see how I could become a much better welder with this machine.

So I am very happy with this purchase. very, very happy. But it has forced me to call on of my neighbors who welds semi professionally. I am building a stump grinder and will take the metal to him and have him supervise and teach me while I weld it together.

Oh,,, my other complaints. On my lincoln there is a welding chart sticker. I know, if you are a pro it is a waste of time, but for beginners, it would be nice to grab a rod, be able to size it, and be told what range to put the machine in. Third, the strap. I really hate something dangling around the machine. I know this saves money but a hard carrying handle would be better in my mind. They provide you with an over the shoulder nylon web carrying strap. I think it is going to be coming off. Finally shutting the machine down freaks me out. Will ask mark about this. but when you turn the breaker off the fan runs a moment longer, then the lights on the front start flashing. I assume this is capacitors releasing energy but I need to check.

I look forward to your guys suggestions.

/ Everlast 200 Stick review.. Kinda #2  
Normal for the fan to run on. Just like you figured, capacitors discharging.

The switch is on the back so there is a minimum of unswitched wires inside the case. Need to do it that way to get certain kinds of certifications in some countries.

That is a great machine BTW.
I'm going to add a handle to mine too.

/ Everlast 200 Stick review.. Kinda #3  
Honest, and kind of cute, review.

I, too, have the PA 200 after coming from a Lincoln buzz box. It is quite a transformation, not only in size, but in arc quality. Practice will be a lot more fun if that is what you intend to do.

I mark my rod holders with a label telling the size and recommended amp range for the particular rod. The plastic rod holders are available from Harbor Freight for cheap.

This Miller stick welding calculator will help make the rod choices: Miller - Stick Welding Calculator

Also, the Everlast website has more complete manuals for particular machines: Tig Welding | Mig Welding | Plasma Welding

The PA 200 has an automatic hot start. That feature allows rods to light much easier and more consistently.

I fell into the Amazon PA 300 trap (thanks to Shield Arc) so the PA 200 is retired to the barn. Being so light, it is perfect for mobile repairs with a large Honda generator.

/ Everlast 200 Stick review.. Kinda #4  
The 200 should have a better manual included, but not the full manual. And there will be a dedicated 200 manual being loaded later this week. Just want to go over it and make sure it is sufficient before it is loaded. We've (I actually) been toying with an idea of creating separate welding primers for people, instead of trying to include them in the manual. The manual includes basic instructions on operation and technique even, but as I've said before....you buy anything else, a tractor say....It tells you what the controls are, but it doesn't tell you how to farm or how to plant, plow or anything in detail. An automobile manufacturer provides an operator's manual with a car, but it doesn't give driving instructions. It gives operation instructions, but not driving instructions. I guess in the same vein we give operating instructions, but not "welding" instructions.

/ Everlast 200 Stick review.. Kinda #5  
Plasmas are in...sort of. lol. They are in port, but in customs flagged for "extra" inspections, which I think last I heard they were X-raying the contents of the packages. Should be in today, if not Monday...and that is a PowerPlasma 50 you bought. 10 extra amps...

/ Everlast 200 Stick review.. Kinda #6  
Sorry for the separate posting, but just noticed this: You were welding with the wrong polarity. Put the electrode holder over in the + and keep the work clamp in the - or the 6010 (-) port.
That'll smooth things up for you especially on 6010.

Your online manual (and presumably the printed copy but I haven't seen it) you have gives you a chart of basic amp settings. It should also give you polarity settings.

/ Everlast 200 Stick review.. Kinda
So a whole bunch of things.....

GW Thanks for the links. Will use them

Mark - Yup, it is a 50 i am getting. And sorry I did not make it clear, I caught my error with the wiring (Electrode and ground) and switched it around. In all fairness you informed me of the new manual coming. I will respectfully disagree on the driving correlation. Only that the manuals on my Lincoln discuss welding in some detail. In my opinion, you can sell more of these if you make them less scary. In hollywood we spend a lot of time worrying about our audience. Every business should. I do want to recognize your remark that you are considering more info. Great idea in my opinion.

To everyone. I am really impressed by this machine. Maybe I shouldn't put the machine up too high on a pedestal given my skill set, but the difference between my buzzbox and this machine is night and day. My welding neighbor says to me in the end it does not matter the machine as much as it matters the technician. But i do feel this machine is giving me the opportunity to become a better welder quicker. And given the price point it makes all that much more rational upgrade.

I am pleased as punch with this purchase. Now if I can just figure out how to make the wife as ecstatic as me about the purchase.