7024 rod on DC welder

/ 7024 rod on DC welder #1  

rmully

Gold Member
Tractor
YM 2020
I want to use 7024 rod for repairing a wood stove and was wondering if anyone has used it? I can not find smaller quantities so I will have to buy 50lbs which if it will run right I have no problem getting. My interest in this rod is it is a drag rod and seams to put down a pretty bead. What are your thoughts?

/ 7024 rod on DC welder #2  
There was a pretty big thread on WeldingWeb about 7024. Seems as I remember guys posting links to where you can buy 5 or 10-pounds at a time.
Anyone still use 7024 frequently/regularly/ever?

Last time I used 7024 was in the late 1970s or early 1980s. Wire feeders did in 7024 in my line of work. A lot of guys like to run it on AC. It does have a very heavy slag, if you can place the object being welded slightly up hill. That way the slag will roll away from the puddle. You'll also want to use more rod angle than say with 7018.

/ 7024 rod on DC welder #3  
Here in Canada, our LWS has them in 5# packs.

Terry

/ 7024 rod on DC welder #4  
7018 lays down a pretty bead also. Plus you get a touch better penetration.

/ 7024 rod on DC welder #5  
I want to use 7024 rod for repairing a wood stove and was wondering if anyone has used it? I can not find smaller quantities so I will have to buy 50lbs which if it will run right I have no problem getting. My interest in this rod is it is a drag rod and seams to put down a pretty bead. What are your thoughts?

If your interest is a drag rod, the 7014 does about the same style of weld and is an all position rod.
It's one of my favorites and lays an easy, nice bead :)

....well technically all welding is my favorite, but you know what I mean ;)

/ 7024 rod on DC welder #6  
7024 was the prettiest rod I ever ran, been over 30 years ago, but I do remember the pretty beads....

/ 7024 rod on DC welder #7  
Isn't 7024 also called Jet Weld?Made for flat runs,not so good vertical.Why not just use 7018?

/ 7024 rod on DC welder #8  

Is that wood stove steel or cast iron?

The "2" in 7024 means that it's good for flat or horizontal welds. Not recommended for vertical or overhead.
I use 7024 occasionally to cap 6011 beads. It's a drag rod that produces a lot of slag ("if there's slag, then drag"). I use DC+, 1/8" rod, 100-130 amps, rod is dragged at about 30 deg from vertical. Lays down like squeeze butter.

Good luck.

/ 7024 rod on DC welder
The stove I am working on is steel.... It so an old halogen fire extinguisher tank 100 gal. Most of what I do is sculptures out of steel. Have a Hobart 140 handler and I have pushed that to the limits... Love this machine! I think I will order 50lbs since it is well liked and easy to use. Thanks for all the useful infi and links.

/ 7024 rod on DC welder #10  
+1 on the 7014. This is the perfect application for it. 7024 lays down a bit faster, but with the slag issue, and the fact it doesn't do out of position welds, the 7014 is much better.