Stupid question?

/ Stupid question? #1  

Ed of all trades

Elite Member
Tractor
John Deere X310, JD LA 145
If you hook an AC welder to a DC generator will it still put out AC to the weld. I hooked my old lincoln buzz box to my pto generator and the meld seemed smother than usual. Is it my crazy idea or true? If not how would an AC welder turn DC into AC?:confused3:

/ Stupid question? #2  
An AC welder might turn DC into SMOKE, but if you're talking about an older transformer welder, that's about ALL that would happen - Transformers work by CHANGING current passing thru their windings - if you put straight DC into those windings, they will have less "resistance" (really, impedance) than they do when connected to AC, and the windings will most likely burn up.

The good news is, it's likely your PTO generator may be putting out AC anyway - at least I hope so, or your welder may not work for long... Steve

/ Stupid question? #3  
Your PTO generator might have smoother power than your house current but highly doubt it puts out DC current. You need a rectifier to change AC to DC. Engine drive welders generally run smoother than electric transformers because the input power is consistent.

/ Stupid question? #4  
If you hook an AC welder to a DC generator will it still put out AC to the weld. I hooked my old lincoln buzz box to my pto generator and the meld seemed smother than usual. Is it my crazy idea or true? If not how would an AC welder turn DC into AC?:confused3:

Where did you get the idea you PTO generator has DC output? It most assuredly is not.

/ Stupid question? #5  
If you have a multi-function ohm meter just check the AC output and then check the DC output. It won't have both. Even simpler, plug in a house lamp (or similar) and see if it lights.

Plus, the plug on the 220V Lincoln buzz box won't fit into any DC socket.

And 99.9% odds that it is AC.

/ Stupid question?
I told you it was a stupid question. Thanks for the info. I have been welding with a little 110 dc china made welder that proves that dc is not always better, but I would hate to think what it would weld like if it was ac. This old buzz box, the same one I learned to weld on in about 1960, welds so much smoother hooked to the gen. than the little dc it got me to thinking. Thanks again Ed

/ Stupid question? #7  
If you hadn't asked it, it would've been a stupid question - but you DID, and you know more today than you did yesterday, so it was a SMART question.

Goes along with my basic philosophy - "Any day I LEARN something (especially with no loss of body parts) it's been a GOOD day" :D ...Steve

/ Stupid question? #8  
[QUOTE=Even simpler, plug in a house lamp (or similar) and see if it lights.

A regular incandescent lamp will probably work on DC. Terry

/ Stupid question? #10  

You're right. I was only thinking about plugging in to my SA 200. I knew I should have had my coffee first. :)

Terry