Flat vs Horizontal

/ Flat vs Horizontal #1  

rmully

Gold Member
Tractor
YM 2020
When a welding rod has a xx2x designation and says it if for flat or horizontal what the "H" is the difference .... seems the same to me. ??

/ Flat vs Horizontal #2  
Flat would be like welding on the floor.

Horizontal would be like welding in the wall, going left to right

Vertical is like welding on the wall going up and down

Overhead is like welding on the ceiling

/ Flat vs Horizontal #4  
Flat would be like welding on the floor.

Horizontal would be like welding in the wall, going left to right

Vertical is like welding on the wall going up and down

Overhead is like welding on the ceiling

That seems like a simple, yet very complete and easy to understand explanation. :thumbsup:

/ Flat vs Horizontal #6  
If you took a 2 pieces and made a 90 deg. joint that looked like a piece of angle iron and laid one piece flat on the table with the other side pointed vertically like an "L" would be a horizontal position weld. If the angle pieces were positioned like a "V" pointing up would be flat position. In a groove or butt weld, flat would be like the plates lying flat on the table and horizontal would be like they were mounted on the wall so you could weld left to right. Up and down would be vertical welding. Often times you have a combination of different positions.

/ Flat vs Horizontal #7  
I'm interested in technique on fillet welds (Mig). Is there any difference between the two configurations? Approach, whipping pattern?
fillet.jpg

/ Flat vs Horizontal #8  
A third option is this which I like to do

Open corner weld.jpg

/ Flat vs Horizontal #9  
With welding it's all about rod, torch, and gun angle. Don't believe me? Try welding pipe in the 5-G or 6-G positions. The angle changes all the time:confused2:. That's why it is so important to learn how to read the puddle. Once you learn to read the puddle then you can anticipate what you need to do ahead of time. Reading the puddle is so important to getting good / strong welds!;)

/ Flat vs Horizontal #10  
A third option is this which I like to do

View attachment 382157

That is the best and strongest way to do corner joints. You can make a perfect size fillet weld on the outside corner and don't need to weld the inside. Very common technique when building tanks where you can't get to the inside.