Homemade Sportsman 570 2" hitch

/ Homemade Sportsman 570 2" hitch #11  
110v... NOOOO! Seriously, very nice job and pictures. Thanks for posting. Oh and those welds are purty!!!

/ Homemade Sportsman 570 2" hitch
Thank you Sir. Like I've said before; what I lack in welding skill (and machine), I think I kind of make up for in design. I try to make things with as much weld area as possible... bevel the sh*t out of things, and weld both sides when possible.

/ Homemade Sportsman 570 2" hitch #13  
Thank you Sir. Like I've said before; what I lack in welding skill (and machine), I think I kind of make up for in design. I try to make things with as much weld area as possible... bevel the sh*t out of things, and weld both sides when possible.
Joint prep makes or breaks anyone. Bevels, and gaps are a huge help! That's why on the job the engineers always give you a WPS to work to. ;)

/ Homemade Sportsman 570 2" hitch
Here's a better shot

What it's supposed to have... but doesn't spring worth a darn

I plugged up the holes so they wouldn't hold water.

I do have something in mind as a replacement for that holder... I'll see what I can find.

/ Homemade Sportsman 570 2" hitch #15  

Same here, I try not take any chances with my welds.

Very nice job - as usual!

/ Homemade Sportsman 570 2" hitch #16  
Joint prep makes or breaks anyone. Bevels, and gaps are a huge help! That's why on the job the engineers always give you a WPS to work to. ;)

WPS?

Wi-Fi Protected Setup?
Worldwide Port System?
Wireless Provisioning Service?
Worst Possible Scenario?
White Powdery Substance?
Work Package Status?
Worthless Piece of Stuff?

Throw us a bone here!

:)

/ Homemade Sportsman 570 2" hitch #17  
The engineers usually prefer it built to standard MIL-TD-4111 but the WPS probably specifies that.

/ Homemade Sportsman 570 2" hitch #18  
Welding Procedure Specification.;) A lot of times it can be listed on the welding symbol too.

/ Homemade Sportsman 570 2" hitch #19  
OK WPS is on a drawing so it would fall under MIL-TD-4111 :D.

Here's my WPS (not specified on my drawings)

If penetration may be insufficient, bevel or space.
If water might get in and spill rust, weld to seal it up.
If one side is strong enough, weld on 2 sides.
If 2 sides is strong enough, weld 4 sides.
If my weld may look better than the joint preparation, weld it.
If I think the next weld might look better than the last, weld more.
If I have nothing better to do, weld 4 sides.
If better things to do but still in honeymoon phase with a new welder, weld 4 sides.

Last edited: