Homemade Sportsman 570 2" hitch

/ Homemade Sportsman 570 2" hitch #1  

NS Gearhead

Veteran Member
Tractor
Deere X350
Well with the recent 110 mig debate, I just had to put this up. :D

My brand new wheeler's hitch just isn't up to the task. It's hard to see but the opening's wallowed out up and down, as well as the end of the insert has rounded the hitch both on top and bottom (see chipped paint)

There are some bolt on 2" hitches available, but I thought I could do a better job for cheaper.

Started with this (12" was on sale and cheaper then 6" that I needed, so I got 6" of scrap)

First two bolts

More gusset

Plates to go down to the other two bolts

So at this point it was time to start tacking things together... I'd need longer bolts. Left for my backshift and headed for the bolt store... closed at 5pm... arrived at 5:05. I guess I'll be making a special trip tomorrow, as they're not open at 6:30am when I get off work. :mad:

The vertical plate will have gussets going from the hitch tube to them... same as above. Then another gusset from those down beside the bolt holes on the plates. Not sure if I'll cut up a 1.25" insert and weld that to the bottom of the 2.5" tube... I'll have no use for them after this anyway. LOL

/ Homemade Sportsman 570 2" hitch
Started today by welding the seam on the end of the reciever... it's a pet peave of mine.

Gusset

Angle iron

Tacking the vertical pieces as they don't meet up with the top bolts and are actually toed in as well.

More gussets

at this point I decided to take a couple extra steps and give it a 5th attachment point

and the cherry on top! No more messing with shackles!

/ Homemade Sportsman 570 2" hitch #3  
Looks good to me. Beautiful welds and beautiful after being ground flat.

/ Homemade Sportsman 570 2" hitch #4  
Yes, very nice!

/ Homemade Sportsman 570 2" hitch #5  
I also think is is more overbuilt than the similar one bolted to the hay bumper on my one ton truck.

/ Homemade Sportsman 570 2" hitch
Thanks guys! LOL, yeah if this breaks there's something wrong somewhere! The frame or the bolts should give first. After taking that last shot I welded the rest of the way around the hook. It came with the little "tang" that keeps your rope/cable/whatever inside... I gave it a little test and instead of springing back, it stayed bent! LOL Cheap Princess Auto stuff. LOL Oh well. It's still rated for 10K lbs. I may try to find something else to do the same job.

/ Homemade Sportsman 570 2" hitch #7  
Thanks guys! LOL, yeah if this breaks there's something wrong somewhere! The frame or the bolts should give first.

Very nice job. Can't break the bolts, the ATV front tires will lift or slide.

/ Homemade Sportsman 570 2" hitch #9  
Looks good, nice hitch