cutting a little steel

/ cutting a little steel #1  

Professor Marvel

Platinum Member
Tractor
Ford 5000, Kubota 2150 HST, NH TC45 D, JD 375 Baby Skid Steer --- STUFF THAT GOES ON EM, Schwinn Stingray
Looking for suggestions for a fairly inexpensive way to cut steel up to maybe 1/4 in. I will only need to cut steel occasionally but I want to be able to make the shapes I need to make repairs on farm equipment (mower decks, wagons etc). I don't need anything commercial but I don't like junk either.

/ cutting a little steel #2  
What's your budget? An oxy/acetylene torch would be cheapest. A full blown CAD operated, computerized cutter would be the other end of the equation.

/ cutting a little steel #3  
This is a fairly inexpensive way to cut steel. :thumbsup:

Attachments

• Hacksaw.jpeg
    Hacksaw.jpeg
    3.6 KB · Views: 88
   / cutting a little steel
SA
Sorry, I explained it inaccurately. A hack saw is indeed fine for cutting stock but I was wondering about sheet type metal. An example is repairing a deck on a bushog.

/ cutting a little steel
What's your budget? An oxy/acetylene torch would be cheapest. A full blown CAD operated, computerized cutter would be the other end of the equation.
I am certainly considering a torch. I guess I was just hoping somebody might know of a saw or possibly other device that I had not though about or be aware of.

/ cutting a little steel #6  
SA
Sorry, I explained it inaccurately. A hack saw is indeed fine for cutting stock but I was wondering about sheet type metal. An example is repairing a deck on a bushog.
These work good for that, a lot more money tho. :eek:

Attachments

• Sawzall.jpg
    Sawzall.jpg
    4.4 KB · Views: 85
   / cutting a little steel #7  
Budget.

For a tractor owner, a Oxy Fuel torch is the most versatile tool. From cutting metal to being able to heat and bend or loosen rusted fasteners.

For purely cutting, the sawzall or the milwaulkee metal circ saw would work.

A plain old 4.5" grinder with a zip cut would work too, and a grinder is an essential piece of equipment

/ cutting a little steel #8  
I am certainly considering a torch. I guess I was just hoping somebody might know of a saw or possibly other device that I had not though about or be aware of.

How about a nibbler. The small air powered ones can go up to 16ga.

Bigger ones get expensive real quick.

Or a body saw. Works like a mini sawzall.

/ cutting a little steel #9  
If you go with a torch, use propane to save some money. Takes a little longer on the preheat, but does make some nice cuts.

Attachments

• First cut.JPG
    First cut.JPG
    228.6 KB · Views: 195
  • P1 close.JPG
    P1 close.JPG
    175.8 KB · Views: 154
   / cutting a little steel #10  
If you go with a torch, use propane to save some money. Takes a little longer on the preheat, but does make some nice cuts.

I've heard of using propane, but never done it. What pressure do you set the regulator at for something like 1/4" mild steel? Same pressure on Oxygen as the acetylene set up? Same tip?