Welder/Generator

/ Welder/Generator #1  

mitchash

Gold Member
Tractor
Mahindra MAX 28XL, Jinma 254 (Sold)
I am looking at possibly buying a used welder/Generator. I am looking at a Lincoln ranger 8 and a Miller legend 200. They both have Onan twins. The Lincoln has a 8000 watt generator the Miller has 5000 watts. The Miller makes its power at lower rpms (less fuel usage). Both are ac/dc welders. I think the Lincoln is newer. That's about all I know about them, both run and work well. I have been looking for a generator for backup power, camp and building a shed. I only have a small mig welder for light stuff and two old ac buzz boxes (ones a Lincoln 220 I bought for $40. The other is a Wards 230 that someone gave me). I would like a dc welder. Witch of the two welder generators are better? What would they be worth?

/ Welder/Generator #2  
Can't say much for the welder part of it, but many claim lincolns in general (gas driven) have a better arc. Also the ranger may be newer and iirc a lot if not all are multi-process (cc/cv). The legend I believe is only cc.

My concern would be the onan. While good motors, parts are becoming scarce and bring in a small fortune if you find them.

/ Welder/Generator #3  
I'm in the process of getting a Lincoln Weldanpower (1985 model) back in working order. It's welding and generating.. ;-) I've just got a few more things to do. I will say, when I tested out the welding it was the smoothest arc I've ever struck. It actually shocked me how quickly it arced, no sticking.. smooth as hot butter..

/ Welder/Generator #4  
I have à Miller Bobcat 250NT. 20hp, 10KW. Mainly use it for DC welding. But have used it to power the house many times. I bought mine with 19 hours on it for about 2200 including new 40' leads, ground clamp and stinger. It will power my whole house including 2 large window À/C's, well pump, fridge, chest freezer, lights. Previous generator was a 5KW that would run everything except the A/C units.

Last edited:
   / Welder/Generator #5  
I am looking at possibly buying a used welder/Generator. I am looking at a Lincoln ranger 8 and a Miller legend 200. They both have Onan twins. The Lincoln has a 8000 watt generator the Miller has 5000 watts. The Miller makes its power at lower rpms (less fuel usage). Both are ac/dc welders. I think the Lincoln is newer. That's about all I know about them, both run and work well. I have been looking for a generator for backup power, camp and building a shed. I only have a small mig welder for light stuff and two old ac buzz boxes (ones a Lincoln 220 I bought for $40. The other is a Wards 230 that someone gave me). I would like a dc welder. Witch of the two welder generators are better? What would they be worth?

I can't tell you what they are worth but you can bet the Miller will use much less fuel as a generator. This is important in a backup power situation unless you some sort of large fuel storage capability. Parts are a problem with an Onan so know that up front. The Lincoln may be newer but I can't tell from the information given. Miller stopped making the Legend a while back. I would like to have a slow turning Legend or better yet a Diesel for backup power but have never found one at a reasonable price.

/ Welder/Generator #6  
I have a Miller legend that i paid $500 for with 75 ft leads last year . It welds fantastic on both ac and dc sides . However I wish it had more aux power 5kw just isn't enough for some things . For the same money were i you i would go with the ranger due to it having more aux power , but i sure wouldn't pay much more for it than the miller because there is just not that much difference between 5kw and 8kw on what you can realistically run . It seems to me that the break over point for my use would be about 10kw and up to have a really handy aux power unit that would run say a 220 wire feed or power most of the farm including the well .

/ Welder/Generator
I would probably use it more for welding than a generator, but would defiantly use it for a back up and portable power.

/ Welder/Generator #8  
we have one of them hobart 10k weld/genny units on our service truck.

works great.

/ Welder/Generator #9  
I sold a SA200 to get a G8000 and have been happy with the G8. It has done everything I ask of it including running my house with a/c with no issues. It is 25+ years old and the only issues were a board and voltage regulator. I would buy one again. The 8k rating is a little light as it will deliver more power with ease. CJ

/ Welder/Generator #10  
I've run several of the small welder generator units out there and have been really impressed with most of them.

The miller blue star welders are nice and include an option for electric start. I've got one of the older 185's with a Honda engine. works great at welding ad has quite a bit of generator capacity, seems like about 5.5 kw.

Thermal Arc makes a small unit called the Scout. Nice and light but seems like the generator capacity is limited

Multiquip also makes a couple of models. I have the 135 which is the smallest DC output welder/generator that I have seen, weighs just over 100 pounds and has a Honda engine. Works good for 1/8 rod but is too small for anything bigger and has limited generator power.

Have not tried the Lincoln weldanpower or the AC output Hobart.