Everlast plasma?

Status
Not open for further replies.
   / Everlast plasma? #1  

mikefromnh

Gold Member
So I know there is a loyal everlast welder following here.

I'm interested in getting a plasma and have been doing some research for a while. It seems hypertherm is the gold standard. And have, until recently, had the price tag to match. But the powermax30 can now be had for under $1000.

The everlast power plasma 50 is 799 on amazon. It is more powerful but I don't really NEED the 50 amps.

Any love for the everlast plasma? Or spend the extra and get the hypertherm?

/ Everlast plasma? #3  
I understand you may not need the extra amps. I'd like for you to buy Everlast of course, but since you are looking for a PM30 cheap too, the Airgas outle has them for 995.00. This does not look like the new XP model though, which might be a clearance item, but for the price...wow.

/ Everlast plasma? #4  
Only suggestion I have on the subject of plasma cutters, is get one that can scarf too!;)

/ Everlast plasma? #5  
   / Everlast plasma?
Right now the PowerPlasma 80 is even cheaper than that. Everlast PowerPlasma 80 IGBT Plasma Cutter 80amp Cutting System - Plasma Arc Cutting Equipment - Amazon.com. Not 100% certain, but about 98% that these are new models.

I want the dual voltage capability of the smaller units

I understand you may not need the extra amps. I'd like for you to buy Everlast of course, but since you are looking for a PM30 cheap too, the Airgas outle has them for 995.00. This does not look like the new XP model though, which might be a clearance item, but for the price...wow.

That's where I saw the price too. How would you compare the power plasma to the pm30 other than the extra amps?

Wow. that is a deal. I'm just waiting for Amazon to mess up the pricing for the Powerarc 300 again.

If they would take 43% off list for the pp50 I'd have one on the way already :)

/ Everlast plasma? #7  
The PM 30 is a nice unit. It's compact and relatively powerful. The torch cable is stiff by comparision to the PP50 and is something that they have "improved" on in the XP I think. That hinders, imho, maneuverability and increases fatigue when used for a long time. I think practically the limits that you'd want to use the 30 daily for is <3/8", while the PowerPlasma 50 you'd be good to 5/8-3/4". That's not a maximum cut (as the PP50 can go up to about 1"). But the 30 may have better performance on 120V...though I haven't used both that way to compare.

/ Everlast plasma? #8  
I think "ChuckE2009" did a video on youtube about the new PM30.

I have the older version of the PM30, and I love it! Have used it where 220 volts wasn't available with great results. And the cut depths that you can achieve are a good bit bigger than advertised.
I once beveled a .500" thick snow plow blade at 45° . Took a while, but not as long as if I had used a grinder.

/ Everlast plasma? #9  
A NH guy should really buy from a NH (USA) Co. (Hypertherm) if you can swing it.:drink:
(mine is about 15+ years old now)
Nothing against Everlast at all, I just like to support local if they are worthy.

/ Everlast plasma? #10  
I guess local in that sense is really local. But... both companies are based in the US. Everlast always has been owned and operated from the US. One is on the west coast, one is on the east coast. People like to forget the fact that even though some companies claim "made in the USA" that they also freely admit that many of their critical and non critical components are not US built and that they are at truthfully only "assembled" in the USA. There's a lot you can debate about, design, ownership, structure etc. but Everlast does use US components and US based (and European to some extent) companies to supply many of its components.

Status
Not open for further replies.