Good news and a dilemma?

/ Good news and a dilemma? #1  

Arc weld

Veteran Member
Tractor
MF 135
After long wait, I was just offered the job I applied to about 2 month's ago.:thumbsup: More money too.:cool2: Apparently I was the one they really wanted. :confused3: I'm taking a week off to help my mom out who has been in the hospital and then I plan to work the following week before going to the new job. I didn't want to leave them high and dry since another person on the order desk just quit. Would it be best to say I need to be away for an extended period to help my mom and therefore need to resign or should I just say I wasn't really happy and accepted another position? I think they might be somewhat shocked I'm leaving but maybe they wouldn't be too surprised. What's a good way to handle giving my notice?

/ Good news and a dilemma? #2  
After long wait, I was just offered the job I applied to about 2 month's ago.:thumbsup: More money too.:cool2: Apparently I was the one they really wanted. :confused3: I'm taking a week off to help my mom out who has been in the hospital and then I plan to work the following week before going to the new job. I didn't want to leave them high and dry since another person on the order desk just quit. Would it be best to say I need to be away for an extended period to help my mom and therefore need to resign or should I just say I wasn't really happy and accepted another position? I think they might be somewhat shocked I'm leaving but maybe they wouldn't be too surprised. What's a good way to handle giving my notice?

Tell them the truth and congratulations on the new job.

/ Good news and a dilemma? #3  
Any time I have left a job I let them know exactly why. I have burned a couple of bridges along the way but I was always honest.

/ Good news and a dilemma? #4  
Tell them the truth, but be professional about it. You were offered, and accepted, a better job at another employer. They don't need to know more than that, nor should you say anything that could burn any bridges.

/ Good news and a dilemma? #5  
"Tell them the truth, but be professional about it. You were offered, and accepted, a better job at another employer. They don't need to know more than that, nor should you say anything that could burn any bridges."

That is a good answer. That is what I would do. Good luck in your new job.

/ Good news and a dilemma? #6  
others said it better than i, tell the truth

/ Good news and a dilemma? #8  
Yup, tell the truth, and then educate them on how they treat people! Maybe they will learn how to treat valuable employees in the future. ;)

/ Good news and a dilemma? #9  
Congrats on the new position.

I wouldn't put in my written letter of notice why I was leaving, just that I am & when. If they ask, tell them the truth, you have accepted a position with another firm, nothing more. If they make a counter, or ask ""What would we have to do to get you to stay?" (and you seriously would consider staying under the right circumstances) then, and only then should you get into the details of why you are leaving.

Usually though when you give notice, that's the end of it. I'd be surprised if they keep you for the two weeks.

/ Good news and a dilemma? #10  
Congrats on the new position.

I wouldn't put in my written letter of notice why I was leaving, just that I am & when. ...

Usually though when you give notice, that's the end of it. I'd be surprised if they keep you for the two weeks.

I have friends and relatives, my wife included, that did the right thing, they say, and give a week or two notice. Then they get it rammed to them by the company walking them out the door on the spot.

On the other hand, I have at least one acquaintance who took a couple weeks vacation and go work for another place just to see if they like it before they give notice. If they like the new job for sure, then they give notice. If the new job isn't all it's cracked up to be then they just continue their old job, after their vacation.

One man I know took two weeks vacation from a John Deere factory and went to a GM factory because the factory was near his home town and better benefits, etc. After two weeks he came back a little more humble, but he still had a job. If he gave notice he would have burned his bridges, possibly. Although I do know of cases where they did accept people back if they are needed enough. Many times the company you leave will try to make a statement, "I'll show you."