Received my Everlast 80S Plasma Cutter ...

/ Received my Everlast 80S Plasma Cutter ... #1  

ThomasH

Gold Member
Tractor
Case 1210, Mitsubishi D2050
Ok, so I got in on the "smoking deal". I think of it as a cutting edge deal myself. (Sorry for the sort-of puns)

My question for Mark is that the S75 torch doesn't have drag tips, and is plenty heavy. If you wanted to do some lighter cutting (say 1/4 and less) would you consider buying a S45 torch, assuming it is lighter and a more flexible cable? And a S105 torch for the heavy stuff with the possibility of drag tips?

Also, I have no experience with the electrodes from China. Are they OK? I have heard that the nozzle/tip units are not made from the same copper and don't last as long. Are there any that you have heard of that are similar quality to the OEM parts? I guess what I am trying to figure out what is what is the most cost effective for the S45 and S105 Trafimet torch.

Thanks in advance.

/ Received my Everlast 80S Plasma Cutter ... #2  
Thomas,
Many of the electrodes from China are reaching 80, 90 or even greater percent of the US quality (that's not me saying that but an off the record source at a major US plasma cutter company that will remain nameless and faceless that we encountered on our overseas visits who happened to be checking out their own things). You have to watch it to be sure as some of their consumables have high zinc content. We use some replacement consumables that actually wear better than OEM. They use virgin billet aluminum from Finland, and Haas Hafnium inserts. They do seem to wear longer from our hands on testing. Now with that said, there are a couple of sources that I'd trust from China (if you don't buy from us). The main one is River-weld.com. This is a major chinese supplier at a great cost which not only supplies torches, but OEM replacement consumables as well as decent and cheap non OEM ones. I would recommend the S-45 or the newer PT 60 torch for smaller/lighter cutting as they work well for 20/30/40+ amp cutting and have many different consumables available and interchangeable. What you will find is there are some pretty decent knockoffs of the the trafimet brand...and some sorrier ones. If it says wsd, it isn't so good. PM me if you see one at a good price, and I'll take a look at it for you. Some are good, and pretty cheap. Some are just cheap. Nothing beats the original completely on the torch itself but they do come close.

/ Received my Everlast 80S Plasma Cutter ...
Mark -

Thanks, you identified exactly why I was asking. It seems like there is no branding or stated standards (metalurgy, machining tolerances, etc.) for what I am seeing for consumables from China, so it is really difficult for me to make judgements. I was assuming that I should stick to Trafimet for the whole torch assemblies, and the question was about consumables. The prices that I have found are typically half of the OEM price.

Could you PM me (or get a sales person to) on the price of a S45 and S105 torch / cable assembly for my new 80S? Also, since I bought it on Amazon, I don't know if you guys can do a trade-in on the s75 torch or not. If not, I will use it at some point.

Oh, and BTW kudos on the manual.

Thanks much!

/ Received my Everlast 80S Plasma Cutter ... #4  
I'll pm you. It'll probably be Monday before I can get up the 105 price.

/ Received my Everlast 80S Plasma Cutter ... #5  
Sounds like a great deal. LEt us know how it works once you get all setup.

Earlier I was down in my basement trying to connvinve myself to list my hypertherm 600 or maxstar 150 on e-bay so I could be ready when the next amazon bargain on an everlast plasma cutter or welder vame along.

/ Received my Everlast 80S Plasma Cutter ...
Sounds like a great deal. LEt us know how it works once you get all setup.

Earlier I was down in my basement trying to connvinve myself to list my hypertherm 600 or maxstar 150 on e-bay so I could be ready when the next amazon bargain on an everlast plasma cutter or welder vame along.

I hear you. One good thing about Amazon deals (besides the price that I couldn't pass up), is the 1 year no interest if you use their credit card. So I have a older Miller high frequency start unit that I have never liked, and I am selling that well used and finicky machine.

I have to leave in 10 days for 45 days overseas, so it will be a while before I get the drier (large dessicant unit with a gallon of media) hooked up and try it out. But I hope to get some pictures then...

/ Received my Everlast 80S Plasma Cutter ... #7  
Not trying to hijack this thread, but I have question also concerning the torch for the 80S machine. Does Everlast sell a machine torch to fit, or is one available thru another source. While I like my Miller 625, I find 40amps to sometimes limit my cutting wants. I might upgrade to a larger machine one day, but aint in any real hurry to do so.

/ Received my Everlast 80S Plasma Cutter ... #8  
Yes, we do. It has the CNC socket on the back of the unit for it as well. I'd try the S105 machine torch as it's a bit heavier duty, but they do get expensive from Trafimet. The S-75 torch is the one we currently put on it. We do have a new torch that is a good bit cheaper that may be out but we're going to have to test it first to make sure it's meeting our expectations for performance and durability. Right now we have 3 machine torches we stock. We have the S45, S75 and A81 machine version of the torches.