Very basic welding related question from a newbie. Gloves?

/ Very basic welding related question from a newbie. Gloves? #1  

woodskiff

Bronze Member
Tractor
2014 BX25DLB-1
My son and I are taking our first "basics" welding course at the local vocational school, (always wanted to learn this craft). We want to do it right, and make the proper investment in equipment. Our first purchase required for the class is gloves. Could I get recommendations or suggestions? Welding equipment supply vendors would be welcomed also. Thanks in advance!

/ Very basic welding related question from a newbie. Gloves? #2  
My son and I are taking our first "basics" welding course at the local vocational school, (always wanted to learn this craft). We want to do it right, and make the proper investment in equipment. Our first purchase required for the class is gloves. Could I get recommendations or suggestions? Welding equipment supply vendors would be welcomed also. Thanks in advance!

I like Miller's ARC Armor MIG gloves;
Miller 249177 Arc Armor MIG Welding Gloves X-Large:Amazon:Clothing

They sell heavier versions as well, but these seem to give good insulation for a thinnish glove, and offer great dexterity. Miles ahead of the old style, bulky gloves. Not sure whether they would work well for TIG or not, but they handle MIG, stick and O/A cutting/brazing well for me. Hope this helps and good luck with your class.

Sent from my LGL35G using TractorByNet

/ Very basic welding related question from a newbie. Gloves? #3  
In my area there are many welding supply stores. I've attached the link to Graingers to look at several types of gloves. You can get gloves most anywhere including Home Depot, Lowes, Harbor Freight, etc. Just get a pair that fits, has good insulation, and dexterity. I found it best to actually try them on first because XL size from one company is only L size at another. I'm not a professional welder, just a home project welder but I took several courses and have been welding for the past 40 years.

Welding Gloves - Gloves and Hand Protection - Grainger Industrial Supply

/ Very basic welding related question from a newbie. Gloves? #4  

Stick welding--heavier gloves--cheap ones at Harbor Freight, more expensive ones at Tractor Supply, welding supply shops.

Wire feed welding--lighter weight gloves--check Amazon.com--goatskin welding gloves--less than $25/pair.

/ Very basic welding related question from a newbie. Gloves? #5  
Tillman makes what I consider the best welding gloves. I use the TIG gloves for most of my welding, but if using larger rods it is best to use the heavy stick rod gloves with more insulation. Tillman brand seem to handle the hot stuff much longer than other brands without getting hard from the heat. They cost a bit more but will outlast most other brands so the trade off is longevity and cheaper in the long run.

/ Very basic welding related question from a newbie. Gloves? #6  
I worked for a local company where we did welding with Miller wire feed welders. The company provided the gloves - they were the very HD type - it was like wearing a knights armor to frost a cake. We did mainly tack welding and some simple long welds. Those who did the heavy duty continuous wire feed welding would soon get their own gloves with more flexibility and dexterity.

/ Very basic welding related question from a newbie. Gloves? #7  
Regardless of the brand, try on several different pairs to find one that is the most comfortable for you. All gloves are handmade so the stitching is a little different on each one and might be a little off on some which will make them a bit stiffer or binding usually at the little finger.

/ Very basic welding related question from a newbie. Gloves? #8  
I like Caiman gloves for stick and mig, for tig I use Tillman. For vertical up any process the heatshield from Tillman is nice to have. They make 2 different ones go for the thicker. I buy from the local welding supply store. Some will give decent student discounts and also builds a relationship. I have also found they are cheaper than the box stores without the discount. You can join AWS (American Welding Society) and receive discounts for many LWS's, the student membership for AWS is $15 per year.

/ Very basic welding related question from a newbie. Gloves? #9  
Stick welding--heavier gloves--cheap ones at Harbor Freight, more expensive ones at Tractor Supply, welding supply shops.

Wire feed welding--lighter weight gloves--check Amazon.com--goatskin welding gloves--less than $25/pair.

I have used the "cheap" gloves from HF for 30 years. Get a 3 pack for $10 and they are every bit as good as any out there.

Mark

/ Very basic welding related question from a newbie. Gloves? #10  
Go to a welding supply and try different gloves. You don't want the real thin ones, they are for TIG. Steiner has some really nice gloves. Look for something that is heaver leather and flexible. You also don't want the really smooth leather as it will burn more easily form the sparks and spatter. Some gloves have an additional heat shield on the back. Just trying gloves on, you'll see what is more comfortable. The cheap one size fits all gloves are too bulky and don't give much feel for what you doing.