Results 120v MIG on 3/8 with bevel

/ Results 120v MIG on 3/8 with bevel #1  

skylarkguy

Platinum Member
Tractor
Mitsubishi MT372, Ford NAA
I hope the next poster will be Fifelaker with the results and summary before everyone starts griping about how it should have been different. Thanks

/ Results 120v MIG on 3/8 with bevel #2  
I, for one, appreciate those that are doing the tests. :drink:

/ Results 120v MIG on 3/8 with bevel #3  
I, for one, appreciate those that are doing the tests. :drink:

Me too!! thumbs up: Oddly enough I am even learning a few things from some of the detractors. (Not the tractors) :)

Terry

/ Results 120v MIG on 3/8 with bevel #4  
I think everyone is getting all upset because it's "not the right tool for the job" which in fairness it isn't there are far better/more efficient ways of welding thicker steel. I think the point of these threads are showing people how to get out of a jam. I wish I had more time because then I'd borrow a little welder and weld some 3/8 coupons with it. I weld a lot of big stuff and would never think of even tacking with a 110v unit but on the flip side I don't think I could turn our DC-600 down far enough to weld sheet metal

/ Results 120v MIG on 3/8 with bevel #5  
It's comical that this subject "upsets" members. I guess we just have to wait for Fife, I think he's gonna do it!

/ Results 120v MIG on 3/8 with bevel #6  
It's comical that this subject "upsets" members. I guess we just have to wait for Fife, I think he's gonna do it!

Also comical to read your posts about this subject. What is driving you to weld metal heavier than sheet metal with a sheet metal welder? You may be able to preheat some plate and get a short groove weld to hold but it's a useless machine for anything over 12 GA really. Fantastic for lighter materials. This is coming from experience with many mig machines.
To bad your not close you could come over for some welding fun.

/ Results 120v MIG on 3/8 with bevel #7  
Bevel, Pre-heat to 800 and multipass with 030 S6. Works in a pinch. The 115v units can't get enough voltage from 035 hard wire. No 023.. Gotta do what ya gotta do but look into a 230v unit for real welding.

/ Results 120v MIG on 3/8 with bevel #8  
Also comical to read your posts about this subject. What is driving you to weld metal heavier than sheet metal with a sheet metal welder? You may be able to preheat some plate and get a short groove weld to hold but it's a useless machine for anything over 12 GA really. Fantastic for lighter materials. This is coming from experience with many mig machines.
To bad your not close you could come over for some welding fun.

Blade if your 120v MIG could only weld 12ga (.109) that musta been a small machine! Agreed if that was somebody's only welder it might be a little too small to be of much use (for me anyway).

For many many folks, something that can weld up to 1/4" (and go a little thicker with reasonable techniques) it's a compelling purchase for the guy who wants only one welder or has only 120v available.

Anyway hope some members can find the time to show how they welded thicker metal (3/8?) and show more bend tests (hopefully without upsetting anyone :D ).

/ Results 120v MIG on 3/8 with bevel #9  
For many many folks, something that can weld up to 1/4" (and go a little thicker with reasonable techniques) it's a compelling purchase.
From what Fifelaker has posted so far about what it has taken to make a solid 6" weld on 3/8" plate, 3/8" is not reasonably possible... 5/16" might be though...

Aaron Z

/ Results 120v MIG on 3/8 with bevel #10  
It's rather interesting that Lincoln lists 10 gauge as the single pass capacity for their 110 volt 140 amp MIG and the equivalent Miller is rated for 3/16" single pass. Maybe Miller has already over-rated their 110 volt machines? Also of note is that Lincoln doesn't recommend multi-pass MIG, only flux-core up to 5/16" max. Going by Lincoln's recommendations, trying to push the capacity of a 110 volt MIG is a moot point...but then again what does Lincoln know. They've only been involved with welding for 100 and some years.;)

Last edited: