Installing 240V Service To Your Shop - Price Breakdowns...

/ Installing 240V Service To Your Shop - Price Breakdowns... #21  
   / Installing 240V Service To Your Shop - Price Breakdowns... #22  
Me, I would like 3phase. There is so much quality used machining gear that due to being 3 phase sits on craigslist forever. I know you can get the transformers but it would be nice just to have it.

I agree, but unfortunately 3 phase is not available everywhere (around here anyway). I had to put in a 35 hp phase convertor in my shop. By the way, I have 400 amps in my shop.

/ Installing 240V Service To Your Shop - Price Breakdowns... #23  
Thanks - If I read that correctly #2 would be good for 94 amps. #6 is good for 37 amps.

Try this chart. 6 gauge copper should be 55 to 75 amps depending on if it is Romex or not and temp rating. 2 in copper is 95-130 depending on type of covering. Ampacity Charts Note that aluminum seems to be about 20-25% less ampacity in the same size guage.

/ Installing 240V Service To Your Shop - Price Breakdowns... #25  
Why would you need the 50amp in the shop? Just asking. :)

I need the 50 amp receptacle for my welder, thats what it requires. You may need the 50 amp breaker in the shop to act as a main disconnect. Check your local codes, you may or may not need one but it is still a good idea to be able to cut the power to the shop with the flip of a switch in an emergency.

/ Installing 240V Service To Your Shop - Price Breakdowns...
I don't think its required with a sub panel. I did put a disconnect switch in my garage, so I could work on the wiring when I wanted to, or shut the whole garage down, but I don't think its required. Anyhow, always best to check codes, get permits, etc... ;)

/ Installing 240V Service To Your Shop - Price Breakdowns... #27  
My shop is already wired, regettably, old fuse boxes where used. When I moved in to the house, there was a overhead wire ran from a breaker panel in the basement of the house to the shop. Dad worked for the TVA and had brought home some aluminum wire like is strung between powerpoles. I dont know the guage, but its pretty hefty. When I moved in the house, I didnt like the overhead wire so i bought the plastic conduit and buried the wire to the shop. My breaker panel in the basement of the house is a 200amp box, fed from the 200amp box off the carport. The basement 200amp box contains a 100amp breaker for the shop, as well as the breakers for the heatpump, well pump, basement lights and outlets. Lots of things i dont like about the wireing in this house and the shop. Some things I have changed over the years, like getting rid of all the 220v circuits in every bedroom, and adding gfci outlets in the bathrooms and kitchen. And I am planning a do over in the shop this week. I have done about all I can to fix the wireing in the house, short of knocking down the sheetrock and starting from scratch. In the shop, I will be getting rid of the fues panel and going with a breaker box. Probably a 100amp main since 100amps is whats in the breakerbox at the house. I think I will look and see if I can find a 125 or 150 amp breaker for the house box to get more power to the shop. If so then I might install a bigger breaker box in the shop. I guess I need to measure the wire run and gauge before buying anything.

/ Installing 240V Service To Your Shop - Price Breakdowns... #28  
220 would be nice to have in the bedroom to run a electric heater. I have a rental and the guys renting it wanted a hot tub outside. they got estimates to rewire the house for 8,000 dollars. I do hate renting more each day.

/ Installing 240V Service To Your Shop - Price Breakdowns... #29  
What is wrong with aluminum?

Tons of residential services are fed with al. In fact copper feeders are uncommon in my area.

/ Installing 240V Service To Your Shop - Price Breakdowns... #30  
What is wrong with aluminum?

Tons of residential services are fed with al. In fact copper feeders are uncommon in my area.

The wires are bigger and harder to handle for the same ampacity.

Try this chart. 6 gauge copper should be 55 to 75 amps depending on if it is Romex or not and temp rating. 2 in copper is 95-130 depending on type of covering. Ampacity Charts Note that aluminum seems to be about 20-25% less ampacity in the same size guage.

Found another calculator designed for pump applications.
here for a 3% drop:
Inputting 240 volts, 50 feet, 60 amps it requires #4AWG.
Inputting 240 volts, 50 feet, 100 amps it requires #1AWG.

/edit - I don't trust that calculator

The site Jim references, electrician2.com voltage drop calculator shows for the OP to run 100 amps 4 ga would do.

Last edited: