My first Stick Welds Since 1981...

/ My first Stick Welds Since 1981... #1  

RookieWelder

Tractor
Kioti DK5310SE Cab HST
I just received my new Powerarc 200ST a couple of days ago, and I gave it a quick inaugural spin this morning. I am REALLY pleased...

Back in high school, I never did learn how to strike and maintain an arc, and that has haunted me ever since. Here's my first effort since then:

1st Stick Welds.JPG

It's a start, and I am THRILLED that I was able to get things moving in the right direction. I made the first three rows of short welds at 100 amps, then dropped it down to 90 amps for the rest of the exercise. This was all using US Forge 1/8" 6013. I only stuck the electrode to the steel 3 or 4 times, then I started to get the hang of it a little better.

I'm going to move on to making a pad of beads next.

Dwight

/ My first Stick Welds Since 1981... #3  
Lots of spatter. Arc length is probably too long--it should be about 1/8" since you're using 1/8" rod. Shorten the arc and continue practicing.

Good luck.

/ My first Stick Welds Since 1981... #4  
Lots of spatter. Arc length is probably too long--it should be about 1/8" since you're using 1/8" rod. Shorten the arc and continue practicing. Good luck.

Looks that way to me too. I envy your enthusiasm! Keep practicing but be sure to take breaks to avoid frustration.
Good luck and have fun.

Terry

/ My first Stick Welds Since 1981... #5  
Slow down and keep a closer arc length and turn your heat up. You should have nice rounded ripples in the bead not sharp pointed ripples. 6013 is a good rod for practice and is one of the easier rods to weld with although 7014 is a better choice. 6013 can get slag entrapment easier than 7014. A 1/8" rod should burn about 6". There should be very little spatter and a nice smooth bead. Use a straight edge and mark some soapstone lines to make nice straight welds. Practice some more just making nice beads before you move to making a pad. Welding isn't learned overnight.

/ My first Stick Welds Since 1981...
Thank you all for the advice and encouragement! :D

I'm not at all surprised that I'm moving too fast and long arc-ing. I keep hearing my high school shop teacher barking at me to not stick the electrode to the steel!

I'll just flip the steel over and give it another go tomorrow. So far, I'm having fun with this - so I'm pretty confident that I'll stay with it and get better with more practice.

Dwight

/ My first Stick Welds Since 1981... #7  
Arcweld makes some good points about 7014 being a better rod. You will have to turn it up a little higher than you would with 6013. But you shouldn't have a problem with the rod sticking at all. :thumbsup:.