Ironman Anyone

/ Ironman Anyone #1  

rmully

Gold Member
Tractor
YM 2020
Well after trying stick welding I have decided I hate it... Too many variables. I love MIG, have a Hobart Handler 140 and though I would get the Hobart Ironman 230 as it will weld up to 1/2" and that would work for anything I would ever do. Anyone have this machine? Likes dislikes?

/ Ironman Anyone #2  
You just need to practice and spend alittle more time with your stick welder. You have options with it that you will not be able to do with the mig. Hobart has a welding school in Troy ,Ohio and teach alot of stick welding classes. Change rods and use some 6011 and see how it works for mild steel. tig ,mig ,and stick all have their places. Other people do it and you will be able to also. You have a good machine.

/ Ironman Anyone #3  
I'm curious to see the responses you get about the ironman. :thumbsup:

I learned on gas, stick and mig at our local vocational college almost 30 years ago. I have torches, an AC/DC stick welder, and a Hobart 140 like yours that I picked up a couple years ago. I find that for most repairs and fabrication that I do the little wire feed works great and its my goto machine. I haven't bothered to get a gas bottle for it yet, so I just use the flux core. Most of my work is outside anyway, so just as well. Wire feed is just too easy and convenient. I have retired the stick to only major repairs and the occasional large fabrication. Don't give up on the stick. ;)

/ Ironman Anyone #4  
I learned to weld using stick so that is what I prefer to use. I have an old MIG/FCAW 110V machine that needs a new liner and rather than fix it, I just packed it away as I never use it anyway. If it is too thin for stick, then I Oxy-acetylene weld it.
A heavy duty MIG would be great for major fabrication because of the speed, but with the small MIG machines I think I can stick weld it just as fast. Small wire on a MIG is best for auto body work but not so good for heavy steel. Too many consumables to keep up with on a wire feed machine, so I keep it simple with just a variety of stick electrodes. Also MIG of flux cored wire welding is bad about cold lap so you can have a very pretty weld but not be tied in to the base metal very well so it breaks easily.

/ Ironman Anyone #5  
Well after trying stick welding I have decided I hate it... Too many variables. I love MIG, have a Hobart Handler 140 and though I would get the Hobart Ironman 230 as it will weld up to 1/2" and that would work for anything I would ever do. Anyone have this machine? Likes dislikes?

I have the 140. Run flux core. It's OK, but my go to welder is my Hobart Stickmate LX AC/DC stick welder. If the weld has to be strong without doubt, it's stick all the way. Don't have any experience with that 230.

Try using the 7014 drag rod--undoubtedly the easiest rod to run a bead. If you can't stick weld decently with that rod, you really need to go to welding school.

Good luck

/ Ironman Anyone #7  
I think you'll really like the Ironman 230.
My mig is a similar size Miller version - it's really great.

I still like stick welding too, and tig, but that doesn't mean I don't like my mig - it's handy and has power enough for most anything an average user would need.

If you don't like stick, sell it while it's still worth decent money instead of waiting 10 years and take a large hit on it.
One of my machines was bought for a song because of that - $500 for $2000 welder works for me :D

/ Ironman Anyone
I think i will keep the stick machine as it is good for farm/repair. Right now my welds are not pretty but solid. I do think for what I do (sculpture) I will get the Ironman 230 because I need decent welds in appearance as well as strong. I have pushed that little 140 Hobart hard many times and I am amazed what it will put out. Right now I make a pass with 7018 and cover it over with mig running the wire fairly fast at top amperage and it makes a strong clean weld. I work in 1/4 plate and tube quite a lot. Thanks everyone for the info and encouragements. I am retired so I am not looking to go to school and get certified but just love welding!

/ Ironman Anyone #9  
I think i will keep the stick machine as it is good for farm/repair. Right now my welds are not pretty but solid. I do think for what I do (sculpture) I will get the Ironman 230 because I need decent welds in appearance as well as strong. I have pushed that little 140 Hobart hard many times and I am amazed what it will put out. Right now I make a pass with 7018 and cover it over with mig running the wire fairly fast at top amperage and it makes a strong clean weld. I work in 1/4 plate and tube quite a lot. Thanks everyone for the info and encouragements. I am retired so I am not looking to go to school and get certified but just love welding!

Ahh, the 1/4" is a lot to ask of the 140 on a regular basis. I usually use the 140 to tack stuff like that, then stick it when I'm ready to make it permanent. I did a few sculptures in very small scale. Plan to MAKE EM BIGG when I retire! :laughing:

/ Ironman Anyone #10  
Good stuff here and Stick welding is " fun" and versatile but eventually the buggy whip was replaced by the stick shift. Stick welding is inexpensive and that's a big plus. Thing is, I get around to 10 + states in my travels and I can tell you that Nothing in production is stick welded. Pipe may be an exception but Pipe is 1/100th of what is welded today and the stick part is being replaced very quickly with dual shield 71T type wire. The ship yards are evolving to high definition mig wire welding in pulse and twin pulse. I'm not trying to upset the apple cart here but you should at least consider the future and look up OTC, Fronius, Lorch, Thermal Arc SP and Kempi. 10X more advanced than Miller and Lincoln while priced similar. Miller and Lincoln have done well to keep the techies out of the USA but they are here now big time. No offense to Handlers and stick mates or even Miller 350P's but they are going to fade as far as technology. Millers highest tech system is the Axcess at about 12K...Its not even digital.. it's Analog with Digital interface.. What a Joke.. At least Lincoln ( I don't like Lincoln ) has a real digital pulse and pulse on pulse system.. Technology wise in the world Miller is about 9th place. They don't even make their own equipment anymore. 2 yrs now in February since they only assemble in Appleton. Don't get me wrong, I just see a lot of people on here saying how much better stick welding is than Mig and I'm not sure what type of mig they are talking about. There is only 1 type of stick but there are many types of mig. think about it, Welding machines in the USA have really not changed much in 50 years.. Many on here are stuck there. Technology is now moving faster than ever and now we have Digital High Definition welding equipment.. Compare Black and White Tube Television to HD Flat Screen of today and that is the difference in welding equipment of today. Like I say, I'm not bashing, I'm simply informing.. Check out the equipment I mentioned above and you will be shocked. Just Sayin..