New lincoln 210 mp STICK question

/ New lincoln 210 mp STICK question #1  

Professor Marvel

Platinum Member
Tractor
Ford 5000, Kubota 2150 HST, NH TC45 D, JD 375 Baby Skid Steer --- STUFF THAT GOES ON EM, Schwinn Stingray
The new Lincoln 210 mp shows 14.7 volts input max required at 230v.
Other companies like Everlast make inverter stick welders that seem to require considerably more max input voltage.
Are the 2 machines capable of STICK welding the same size steel? It seems like I am not comparing apples to apples. I don't believe we get something for nothing but I am not at all familiar with stick welding.
In other words it looks like we could get away with running the new Lincoln on 12 or 10 ga (20 or 30 amp circuit) wire but it looks like other stick welders require a 50 amp circuit. Is it possible that they can do the same stick welding job? Please note that I am only asking about the stick welding process part of the machine.
I am not sure I am asking my question clearly. I am trying to figure out if I can get the same work out of the Lincoln with a 10 ga wire that I would need larger wire for with other welders. I think the answer is no.

/ New lincoln 210 mp STICK question #2  
Do you mean 14.7 AMPS?

And there are several input amp listings. Such as max inrush amps,
average input amps, etc.

Try to find the amps the welder will draw(use) at the highest output setting you will likely use. Figure your input circuit for that, or if you can, go a bit bigger for future upgrades.

If it is an inverter welder, they are more efficient at converting input power into welding power, so you often can use a smaller circuit.

/ New lincoln 210 mp STICK question #3  
The new Lincoln 210 mp shows 14.7 volts input max required at 230v.
Other companies like Everlast make inverter stick welders that seem to require considerably more max input voltage.
Are the 2 machines capable of STICK welding the same size steel? It seems like I am not comparing apples to apples. I don't believe we get something for nothing but I am not at all familiar with stick welding.
In other words it looks like we could get away with running the new Lincoln on 12 or 10 ga (20 or 30 amp circuit) wire but it looks like other stick welders require a 50 amp circuit. Is it possible that they can do the same stick welding job? Please note that I am only asking about the stick welding process part of the machine.
I am not sure I am asking my question clearly. I am trying to figure out if I can get the same work out of the Lincoln with a 10 ga wire that I would need larger wire for with other welders. I think the answer is no.

Ok, let's simplify the discussion a bit. There are two basic types of welders, transformers and inverters. Inverter machines (which the Everlast is and I *think* the Lincoln is) are more efficient, and can put more energy out with the same energy in than a transformer welder can.

So assuming that you are talking about the same type of machine (inverter to inverter) there will be small differences in efficiency and tune-ability of the process that could influence the output a small amount (less than 10%) but not much. On Lincolns web page I see 14.7 amps listed at 230 volts input to get the range of 20-220 amps, but be careful in how you interpret that. It is probably an average amperage while welding with a 20% duty cycle. So if you are welding for 5 minutes, you have let the welder cool some, and you get an average current draw that is low. A real 200 amps on a larger inverter that can do it continuously would require about 40 amps input.

So if you want to compare the welders, look at amperage, duty cycle, whether it is AC/DC or DC only, and quality and cost of disposable supplies.

/ New lincoln 210 mp STICK question
Do you mean 14.7 AMPS?

And there are several input amp listings. Such as max inrush amps,
average input amps, etc.

Try to find the amps the welder will draw(use) at the highest output setting you will likely use. Figure your input circuit for that, or if you can, go a bit bigger for future upgrades.

If it is an inverter welder, they are more efficient at converting input power into welding power, so you often can use a smaller circuit.
I am sorry, I certainly do mean amps. I should have read through my post better.

/ New lincoln 210 mp STICK question #5  
Prof...a lot of this is that it is possible they are only rating the MIG input. And they are using the "rated" amperage not the Inrush. There is a difference, though the NEC recommends that the newer way of using max inrush and operating amperage be used.

You can lower the max input amps somewhat with PFC though the running amps (or amps used while welding) may be higher.

/ New lincoln 210 mp STICK question #6  
Just checking their brochure. This is a MIG rating, not a stick. Just what I thought. Read this carefully. It gives the context of a MIG duty cycle and rating. Then it says "@ rated output". One though they claim it is a 220 A mig, they give the rating at 200 amps. It is indeed the I1eff that they are using, not the Max inrush. This is all a game to make things look better. But when people go to sizing their breaker based of a pre sales brochure, they will feel the heat. Check out the MTS 200. Ours is I1eff is 22 amps...but at the HIGHEST requirement out of all the processes...which would be stick...not MIG. Anyway, apples to apples comes to mind.

/ New lincoln 210 mp STICK question
Thanks for the explanations