intro to welding books

/ intro to welding books #1  

dennis leary

Tractor
kubota 4760
Anyone have any suggestions about a good book for beginning welding? Or is a course the best way to go? Thanks.

/ intro to welding books #2  
A course would be the best because you can't hear or see what's happening in a book. Also having an experienced welder right there can show you simple things that will improve your welding ten fold. Lincoln has some good books at a very reasonable price if you buy directly from their website. There's a lot of good books on welding though. The Monster garage book on how to weld darn near anything by Jessie James has accurate info in it.

Last edited:
   / intro to welding books #3  
Try to watch someone who can weld through another shield and get a basic idea on striking an arc and running a bead.
Arc Welding Lessons for School and Shop (A Lincoln Publication) would be a good start.

/ intro to welding books #4  
Reading up on welding is great, and Lincoln puts out some great instructional books.
But I also took a class at a small welding school many years ago - 1978 to be exact.
The instructor, who had worked as an underwater welder, could tell from another room what I was doing wrong from the sound of my welding.
You just can't get that kind of help from a book - and let me tell you the first few hours of arc welding were very frustrating for me.
The instructor's help encouraged me to stick with it and made the learning much faster.

/ intro to welding books #5  
Heat Shrink.jpg

Metals How to Weld.jpg

2 pictures of Books that Were posted here by a Very Knowledge Person with lots of real world experience and I miss him here on this board .

Fred H.

/ intro to welding books #6  
Anyone have any suggestions about a good book for beginning welding? Or is a course the best way to go? Thanks.

Watching is better than reading. Start with YouTube videos on the type of welding you're trying to learn. I learned quite a bit from welding videos like these

Instructional Welding Videos

Hanging around a welding shop is very helpful. Taking a welding course is highly recommended if you can find one in your neighborhood.

When all is said and done, you just have to burn rod and develop the necessary hand/eye coordination that's needed for successful welding. Practice, practice, practice and after burning your first 100 lb of rod, you'll be laying down pretty good beads.

Good luck.

/ intro to welding books #7  
   / intro to welding books #9  
I have really enjoyed Jody's videos on Weldingtipsandtricks.com. No BS, great video and demonstration.

/ intro to welding books #10  

I think it was Arc Weld that mentioned the Monster Garage book by Jesse James. Glad it was written by someone else. Don't know if I'd want to buy a weld book written by Jesse James....

Terry