MIG questions

/ MIG questions #1  

V1Rotate

Platinum Member
Tractor
New Holland TC 29D
I am thinking about getting a portable 120 volt MIG welder to do some floor pan repair on an old Mustang.
Can you buy the gas bottles or do you have to lease them? Around here you can't buy oxy/acetylene tanks, you must lease them from the supplier.
What about flux core wire? Does that work well for sheet metal work?

/ MIG questions #2  
It's your choice to buy or lease. I'm sure if you do some research you will find someone to sell you bottles or you can just buy online. If you go that route make sure the supplier will exchange the bottles for you. Some are really strict and only accept their own bottles and others will take just about anything. Just depends on the supplier.

I would think running shielding gas would be better for your application of working on sheet metal.

What machines have you been looking at?

/ MIG questions
Thanks
I don't want to start a brand war, but what do think about Everlast units?

/ MIG questions #4  
Thanks

That new Everlast 140 Mig looks like a lot of welder for the money to me. Check out Marks video on that machine.

/ MIG questions #5  
Thanks

If you don't like the Everlast 140 mig I'll sell you my Hobart handler 125. Then I can buy the Everlast 140. JK

You should give the Everlast a serious look. When you compare capability and pricing it's obvious that it is a good value and provides a lot of bang for your buck.

/ MIG questions #6  
I was in the same boat as you... I ended up getting a 110/220v capable unit in case I ended up needing to weld thicker stuff even though I don't have requirements now. I didn't want to have to hassle with selling and upgrading. If you are absolutely sure you will never go thicker than 3/16in then never mind. On bottles, I found a sale on a used bottle at my LWS. I bought it and I can exchange it there for refilled. From what I know, you will be happier with your results with gas vs. flux core wire. I assume you will be working indoors (sheltered from wind)?

/ MIG questions #7  
Check with your LWS regarding bottle ownership. Here you can own the smallest ones, anything larger requires a lease.

As to welders. Im not a Lincoln guy, but they have a new multiprocess/multivoltage machine (called teh PowerMig 210 MP) that looks pretty impressive for the money. Id give it a strong look

/ MIG questions #8  
I am thinking about getting a portable 120 volt MIG welder to do some floor pan repair on an old Mustang.
Can you buy the gas bottles or do you have to lease them? Around here you can't buy oxy/acetylene tanks, you must lease them from the supplier.
What about flux core wire? Does that work well for sheet metal work?

Flux core is tough and dirty for sheet metal - definitely gas shielded is your friend :)
Buy or lease here is dependent on bottle size.

120volt machines are good starter units. Many people don't outgrow them for years.

Buy as high of quality as you can afford - sometime lightly used machines are sold dirt cheap.

/ MIG questions #9  
Check with your LWS regarding bottle ownership. Here you can own the smallest ones, anything larger requires a lease.

As to welders. Im not a Lincoln guy, but they have a new multiprocess/multivoltage machine (called teh PowerMig 210 MP) that looks pretty impressive for the money. Id give it a strong look

Yeah this thing looks pretty cool. If I didn't pull the trigger already on my Miller 211, I think this could have been my choice now!

/ MIG questions #10  
When comparing 110V welders be sure to look at the "duty cycle"...