What's it worth 1942 Sa200

/ What's it worth 1942 Sa200 #1  

loudhornsrule

Bronze Member
Don't have any pics, but runs and won't weld. Little Hercules engine. Welder is fair shape

/ What's it worth 1942 Sa200 #2  
:)
Don't have any pics, but runs and won't weld. Little Hercules engine. Welder is fair shape

Once you replace a few brushes and get her excited she will do and NOT do many things for you.. Good Luck..:)

/ What's it worth 1942 Sa200 #3  
It might be more than just brushes. If it has been setting mice can do a number on the wiring. Exciter coils are around $580. These are what provides aux power for the SA200 and when they fail you lose aux power and the ability to weld. You can OHM test across the wire strands and it should read 167ohms. (prior to 1972 machines, 130 ohms for 72 and newer) You can test voltage at the aux plug (where you would plug in an extension cord) and it should read 110vdc. Note, this is DC voltage and not AC voltage.

Shunt coils are around $475 a set. If these fail, you will still have aux power, (110vdc) but the machine wont weld. Ohm reading across blue and brown wire should read 41ohms +/- 10%. Check the ohm reading on the coils first before replacing brushes. If coils check good, no broke or loose connections, brushes good, it should weld. If either coil set checks bad, only option is to replace=$$$$ and will lower the value of the welder a bunch.

/ What's it worth 1942 Sa200 #4  
<snip> Check the ohm reading on the coils first before replacing brushes. If coils check good, no broke or loose connections, brushes good, it should weld. If either coil set checks bad, only option is to replace=$$$$ and will lower the value of the welder a bunch.

Ok, I am curious. Why not get them rewound with copper? Is there a reason that a motor place could not rewind a shorted or open coil?

/ What's it worth 1942 Sa200 #5  
I'd say to stay safe, no more than 600.00. The engine is worth that if it is in good shape.

/ What's it worth 1942 Sa200 #6  
Ok, I am curious. Why not get them rewound with copper? Is there a reason that a motor place could not rewind a shorted or open coil?

Never thought about it, but i guess a good motor place could rewind the coils. Dont know that you would save any money going that route. Worth checking into before buying replacements.

/ What's it worth 1942 Sa200 #7  
Odds are it doesn't need new brushes, they just need to be freed up so they are making good contact.

/ What's it worth 1942 Sa200 #8  
loudhornsrule, did you buy it?

Terry

/ What's it worth 1942 Sa200
I did buy it, and I am replacing a lot of internal wires that are bad.