Miller Multimatic 200

/ Miller Multimatic 200 #1  

Hiltz

Gold Member
Tractor
JD 790
Im looking to upgrade to a little more power. Anybody use one of the Multimatic 200's. Not a whole lot of information on the interweb about them.
Any opinions on this welder.

/ Miller Multimatic 200 #2  
What do you have now? The Millermatic is an expensive little bugger and known for its light weight portability with 220V capability. I looked at it before settling on a Miller 211 for about half the cost and twice the weight. I didn't need to be carrying it around often and couldn't justify the $1000+ difference. Fellow member here, Sodo I believe has one and I am sure he will chime in. Good luck in your hunt.

/ Miller Multimatic 200
I have a Miller mig machine, entry level 120v . (Im not around my shop right now to see what model it is ) I think I spent around $1000.00 for it a couple of years ago. I would like to do some heaver welds and some aluminum, and would like a welder with a little more duty cycle time. The machine I have is 20% duty cycle. This looks like a nice machine with 60% duty cycle.

/ Miller Multimatic 200 #4  
I purchased a Millermatic 200 in 1985 and still use it today. The only problem I have had was a bad diode which caused the cooling fan to run too much. I asked the repair tech at the welding supply store and he told me what the problem was. The diode wasn't expensive and I repaired it myself. I highly reccommend this welder. The duty cycle is 100% and I have found it to be easy to use.

/ Miller Multimatic 200 #5  
Brown Road, the Multimatic 200 and Millermatic 200 are different machines. Pretty sure the MultiMatic is a new model in 2013.

I bought my MultiMatic 200 for the portability. I weld in 3 locations so for me portability was important. Also wanted to have a stickwelder if I need to jam an electrode deep into rusty metal, or weld outside in the wind. I haven't used it as a stick but I will someday. Also bought the spoolgun for Aluminum but haven't even opened the package. And I also want to TIG someday, but I think The MM200 is a DC TIG, which is not great for Aluminum, but may be OK for steel. I don't know much about TIG.

Then a few months later Everlast came out with the 140E for $400, pricewise, I could have bought a 140E for each location and carry just the gas bottle around? ,,,,,or something, and have more than few hundred$ left over. Well anyway I've got the MM200 and I do like it. The 230v capability provides some headroom for thicker material or larger weldments. I recently completed wiring 230v at my garage at home, so if a project needs 230v I have to bring it home.

The Multimatic 200 doesn't give you a good way to tie up the cables (for portability).

I'd say the main pluses are light weight/portability, 115/230v operation, and the option to stick-weld. If you are OK with the cost, then you are getting a special machine, and paying for it too. It sure welds sweet! In my case I haven't needed more power as most of the stuff I build is 3/8" and less. It's kind of a hard machine to "recommend" pretty much if a guy needs one he knows the price and already knows his 'needs'.

I don't have anything to say about duty cycle, as I've never had a machine shut down, ever. I can't think of any welds longer than about 6 inches though, so maybe that's the reason. I don't weld for a living and have no reason to consider duty cycle. If it welds 6 inches, that's probably enough. My 120v Miller 135 never shutdown either. Are you having problems with the welder or the supply breaker?

Last edited:
   / Miller Multimatic 200
Thanks for the information Sodo. No problems with the welder or breaker in fact this has been a great quality machine. Ive had it I quess almost 10 years and it always fires right up. Im really wanting a welder for a little heaver projects and also a nice spool gun for aluminum. I don't weld a lot but when I do its usually for all day and sometimes I have to wait for the welder to "cool off".

/ Miller Multimatic 200 #7  
I "weld all day" too, but in reality there is a lot of cutting, measuring, grinding, drilling, cutting , welding, measuring,,, Many many times until it's too dark. But never have had anything shut down. How many inches of weld before it shuts down?

/ Miller Multimatic 200
Not sure about inches. I just notice after prolonged use the welds get really crappy. Like you I have kinda learned to work around this by cutting, measuring, grinding, letting the welder cool off by getting other pieces to weld up instead of having everything ready to weld. My machine only has a 20% duty cycle and I was looking for a little bit bigger machine.

/ Miller Multimatic 200 #9  
Not sure about inches. I just notice after prolonged use the welds get really crappy.

Interesting,,,,, I have been attributing that to being in a hurry ! :D

/ Miller Multimatic 200
Interesting,,,,, I have been attributing that to being in a hurry ! :D

Ha, I kinda got the knack of the speed thing. It took a while. After a little thought I am probably welding more than 6 inches. At first I would cut all my pieces and then weld. If I had a lot of pieces to weld I started noticing really bad sputtering of the arc and porus welds after a few minutes of continuous welding. Thus the need for a bigger machine.