How to stiffen up a bandsaw

/ How to stiffen up a bandsaw #1  

muddstopper

Veteran Member
Tractor
Ventrac, Steiner
Been fighting my elcheapo Carolina bandsaw for 2 days now. Havent had much problems with it cutting small metal, but I cant get it to cut straight on 8in stuff at all. Cutting a 1x8 piece of steel, steel turned edge up, It gets about a blade width out of square by the time it cuts thru. Watching the saw arm while sawing, I noticed the bed flexing and I believe this is the cause of the the angle cuts. As the arm goes down thru the metal, it looks like the bed is twisting, the lower the saw, the more weight on the blade and the more flex. Any ideals on the best way to stiffen the bed.

Attachments

• 1125141201 (1).jpg
    1125141201 (1).jpg
    731 KB · Views: 360
   / How to stiffen up a bandsaw #2  
Loosen the knob and slide the blade roller arm closer to the metal you are cutting. You only need the arm back that far if the metal you are cutting is clamped horizontal instead of vertical as pictured. You want the blade roller as close as possible to the metal you are cutting. Too much down pressure (weight) and / or having the arm back that far will cause blade flex. I don't see how the bed could flex. The bed is the cast piece the metal is sitting on.

Attachments

• DSCN1418 (Medium).JPG
    DSCN1418 (Medium).JPG
    112.6 KB · Views: 232
  • DSCN1417 (Medium).JPG
    DSCN1417 (Medium).JPG
    166.8 KB · Views: 261
   / How to stiffen up a bandsaw #3  
Also check the feed rate. How fast does the blade come down. This can also cause it to cut out of square. And check the tension on the baked. If it doesn't have enough tension this could also cause I square cuts. It happens on my vertical bandsaw if I don't tension it properly when changing blades.

/ How to stiffen up a bandsaw #4  
You will get better and straighter cuts if you use a light cutting oil or cutting fluid. I personally use Fluid Film sparingly. Ken Sweet

/ How to stiffen up a bandsaw
The guides are far apart because on the back side of the plate, (you cant see it) is a 4x4 block of wood, There is another piece of metal sticking out the backside, rosette welded to the plate, that doesnt allow the clamp to go up against the metal. The guides hit the block if they are any closer. Normally, I keep the guides set to just clear the metal being cut. This is used steel and I have been cutting usable sections out of it. Tension is tight but this saw doesnt have a cast frame. Looks like thin plate bent and welded. Carolina Saws are not known for quality. I think I found the problem and have it fixed. The bushing in the Idler wheel was worn letting the wheel wobble. I had the wheel bored out and a new bushing installed this evening. Wheels is running true and the arm isnt wobbleing back and forth,but I will wait until tomorrow to check to see if it cuts square. Current blade is a 14tpi, I think I will order something a little more aggressive and see if that speeds thing up. Any recommendations on tooth count.

/ How to stiffen up a bandsaw #6  
14 tpi bi-metal are what I use and it seems to work well. Belt is in middle position on my 3 speed pulleys. Not real fast and not slow speed. I usually get my blades at TSC or HF. Mine is made by Amrox. I think its about 20 years old now. I got it used but think it was sold by HF or TSC. It does a good job for a hobbyist / homeowner. If I needed to use one more professionally I'd buy a better and bigger one.

/ How to stiffen up a bandsaw #7  
Back when I was working as a machinist I learned that a worn blade will wander. If the saw checks out and it still doesn't cut straight, try a new blade.

/ How to stiffen up a bandsaw #8  
what's the hp rating of band saw motor?

/ How to stiffen up a bandsaw #9  
TPI - I've always heard 3 teeth on the material is optimum. Here's a few pages I found (and bookmarked) with more info -

How to Choose the Right Bandsaw Blade

www.starrett.com/docs/saw-resources/blade-selection-in-five-steps.pdf

How to choose a metal cutting Band Saw Blade

On flex - if you have one of those cheapo magnetic laser levels, you might be able to see how much flex there is by sticking it on the blade bow, pointing it at a spot on the floor, then tighten/loosen the blade and see if the dot moves. This may or may not work at all, just another of my infamous brain farts :rolleyes: ...Steve

/ How to stiffen up a bandsaw #10  
Place your piece to be cut in the flat position. Will make your blade last longer too.
Dave