Thoughts on Lincoln Power Mig 210MP/Magnum Pro 100 spool gun

/ Thoughts on Lincoln Power Mig 210MP/Magnum Pro 100 spool gun #1  

woodskiff

Bronze Member
Tractor
2014 BX25DLB-1
My son and I are ready to pull the trigger on the L PowerMig 210MP with the spool gun option. Lincoln's typical user description fits us to a T and this will be our first machine and 4"/8" wire spools fits our needs just fine. Anyone using it? Thanks!

/ Thoughts on Lincoln Power Mig 210MP/Magnum Pro 100 spool gun #3  
I tested the 210MP at a distributor. Pretty nice with a good price. The spool gun was a little cheesy but all in all has a nice arc on mig and tig. 6010 would start and run so/so but who buys this type of machine to run 6010. Actually didn't run 6011 much better. I would still buy it if I was in the market for entry level equipment. Looks good too.

/ Thoughts on Lincoln Power Mig 210MP/Magnum Pro 100 spool gun
Hi Guys, thanks for the replies...a couple of things that I've thought about. For one, consumables, will I have to stay with Lincoln directly for parts or will there be other parts options available to us? Also, we've gone through our basic welding course with stick and we didn't go near 6010/6011...do I really care? What's the voodo in these 2? Is that the benchmark of a good machine? We're going open garage door/driveway welding projects here.

/ Thoughts on Lincoln Power Mig 210MP/Magnum Pro 100 spool gun #5  
Cheap inverter machines have problems running 6010. AFAIK its flux related.

Does that mean that this welder is no good? No. 6010 is more for "code" work, like pipeline and boilermaking. They are "fast freeze" electrodes that have deep penetration. That doesnt mean 6010 has no use for general home fab work (great for tacking, freeze fast, strike easy) but they arent essential. 6010's also require no special storage, and can burn through paint and rust, which is great for "farm" shops.

Its not the end of the world, you can get around it by using other electrodes that the machine runs better and wouldnt be a deal breaker for most people.

Does that mean that this welder is no good? No. 6010 is more for "code" work, like pipeline and boilermaking. They are "fast freeze" electrodes that have deep penetration. That doesnt mean 6010 has no use for general home fab work (great for tacking, freeze fast, strike easy) but they arent essential. 6010's also require no special storage, and can burn through paint and rust, which is great for "farm" shops.

Its not the end of the world, you can get around it by using other electrodes that the machine runs better and wouldnt be a deal breaker for most people.

Thank You! Perfect response and we understand exactly what you said! It's like our boats---no one hull perfect, each with some compromise depending your need and by it's design.
i

/ Thoughts on Lincoln Power Mig 210MP/Magnum Pro 100 spool gun #7  
Thank You! Perfect response and we understand exactly what you said! It's like our boats---no one hull perfect, each with some compromise depending your need and by it's design.
i

Exactly. These are price point machines. As such there are compromises. That said, from what Ive seen so far you do get alot for the price of this 210mp.

Scooby74, This was really valuable information to us. Thank you. More education on the the subject leads us to believe that 6010 and 6011, based upon our metal fab technique, skill, and fit up this should be apart of our "requirements list" from a welding machine.

/ Thoughts on Lincoln Power Mig 210MP/Magnum Pro 100 spool gun #9  
Scooby is probably right. I have trouble running 6010/6011 on MY cheap inverter. (TA 181i)

image-3935065353.jpg

Terry

/ Thoughts on Lincoln Power Mig 210MP/Magnum Pro 100 spool gun #10  
Actually, 6010 and I suck on this inverter too. Maxstar 150STL. image-2391102497.jpg 6011 may be okay, but I don't really remember trying it. Terry

Last edited: