track torch project

/ track torch project #1  

muddstopper

Veteran Member
Tractor
Ventrac, Steiner
I always wanted a track torch. The older I get, the more my hands shake, and the uglier my cuts get. I looked for a used one for a while but didnt like the prices of a complete setup. Looked for just the torch itself without the track, but was afraid of what ebay had to offer in the used torchs. So I just decided to use one of my hand torch's and see how that worked out. Aint to many home made track torches on Youtube and they all where made to do straight vertical cuts only. I wanted to cut bevels so I had to figure out how to mount the torch so it could cut straight or on a bevel. These pics are of my first cutting attempts. I think it does pretty good. I made a few mistakes, which I will change and will explain.

First mistake was using a 3/8 all thread rod for the lead screw. It works, but has a tendency to wobble and flex as the torch travels the track. I plan on changeing it out for a 1/2 all thread to see if that helps with the wobble. Second mistake was the mount for the torch itself. It works just fine for straight cuts, but when you tilt the torch on an angle, it wont go low enough to get proper torch height. I ma just going to weld a piece of 1in square bar to the bottom of the mount and redirl it to accept the part that actually hold the torch. Other than those two items, I am pretty satisfied with how well it works.

The track is 1in angle. The top part is just 6in 3/16 flat plate. I welded 3 3/8 nuts to the bottom of the plate to run the all thread rod thru to pull the torch along the track. I use a cordless drill to turn the rod. I had a piece of 1x2 flat bar that I drilled to accept a 3/4 in all thread rod for height adjustment and 2 1/2in round rods to keep every thing lined up. I ended up having to redrill the holes for the guide rods to accept a 5/8x1/2in bushing because I had to much slop and wiggle. I purposely made the 5/8 threaded rod and the 1/2in guide rods long but will probably trim them off once I figure out just how much height adjustment I really need. For mounting the torch, I had some 3/4 black pipe that I sawed in half lenght ways. This proved to be an exact fit as a saddle for the torch body. I just welded it to some angle and use a hose clamp to hold the torch in place, For the end of the torch, I just welded another piece of angle for the torch to rest on. It does'nt move. Where the torch mount attached to the 1x2 flat bar. I used some 2x2 3/16 plate that I drilled so I could bolt it to the flat bar. I drilled the holes and made one a slot so I could angle the torch by simply loosening the bolts and tilting the torch mount.

I also welded some 2x3/16 flat bar to the bottom of the track leaving about 2 inches sticking out to allow something to clamp the torch to the metal. I advise clamping both ends of the track, I already bumped the track while cutting and made a boo bo crooked cut in a practice piece. I only had one end clamped at the time, but thats why they call it a practice cut.

Attachments

• 1227141107a.jpg
    1227141107a.jpg
    837.4 KB · Views: 262
  • 1227141107.jpg
    1227141107.jpg
    904.8 KB · Views: 225
  • 1227141106a.jpg
    1227141106a.jpg
    982.3 KB · Views: 300
  • 1227141106.jpg
    1227141106.jpg
    927.8 KB · Views: 239
  • 1227141105.jpg
    1227141105.jpg
    905.2 KB · Views: 213
  • 1227141100.jpg
    1227141100.jpg
    998.3 KB · Views: 211
  • 1227141102.jpg
    1227141102.jpg
    839.6 KB · Views: 185
  • 1227141443.jpg
    1227141443.jpg
    669.9 KB · Views: 195
  • 1227141444.jpg
    1227141444.jpg
    669 KB · Views: 205
  • 1227141442.jpg
    1227141442.jpg
    570.5 KB · Views: 188
Last edited:
   / track torch project #2  
That's really slick!:thumbsup:
How do you keep the oxygen lever pushed down?

/ track torch project #3  
That does a nice job, have thought about one myself.
Good job, thanks for posting

/ track torch project #4  
Next you can modify to use Plasma. I might have some torch holder and rack and pinion components in a box some where that you may be able to use.. I' check.

/ track torch project
Thanks for the nice comments. As for holding the Oxy lever down, right now I am just using a piece of angle and some vice grips. I need to remake the swivel bracket so the torch drops down far enough to do bevels, then I will just make me a toggle of some sort for the lever. The track torch will cut 59in long. My lead screw was 6ft and by the time I made the cart for the torch, I lost a few inches. My arms aint long enough to make 59in cuts holding the lever and running the drill. Total cost to build was probably less than $20 and except for the screw and 12ft piece of angle, its mostly made from scrap.

/ track torch project
Next you can modify to use Plasma. I might have some torch holder and rack and pinion components in a box some where that you may be able to use.. I' check.

I plan on making a mount for my plasma next. Right now I needed something to cut a knife edge on about 20ft of thick metal, My plasma isnt capable. I couldnt see me hand cutting 20ft x's2 of bevel. The flat plat I cut was 27in long and 1in thick, once set up actual cut time was maybe 2 min using a #2 tip, 40psi oxy and 10psi acet. Slag wiped off with a wire brush in a couple of licks.

Let me know what kind of parts you have laying around.

/ track torch project #7  
Keep an eye out for a machine torch, then you'll be all set.

Attachments

• Bevel.JPG
    Bevel.JPG
    241.2 KB · Views: 250
   / track torch project #8  
I like it! Agreed 1/2" might support its own weight better.

In 2005 I had to clear out the crawlspace of an industrial building. There was a big box of about three OA pattern cutters. All quality materials for "Projects". Some of the parts were 'new in box'. I was way too busy, had to clear it all out cuz of deadlines coming, i had no time for eBay, and no place to put the stuff. For a scrounger like me this was painful to dispose of valuable project materials. I assume they were 'machine torches'. All went to a scrapper.

Anyway, cool project.

/ track torch project
Been using the track torch some. I will definately have to upgrade the lead screw. Its already starting to turn in an elliptical motion causing the torch to wobble as it travels the track. Have to see if Fastenal is open tomorrow, they are about the only place around here that has all thread in lengths longer than 3ft.

/ track torch project #10  
muddstopper I assume you were going to use 1/2-20 for your lead screw? If so, perhaps it might be better to go to 1/2" Acme thread instead? It is available in 3 and 4 foot lengths I think. (And buy the corresponding acme nuts). Just a thought.

Terry