Hypertherm 30xp vs 45 decision?

/ Hypertherm 30xp vs 45 decision? #1  

dragoneggs

Super Star Member
Tractor
Kubota BX-25D, Kubota Z122RKW-42
Hi guys, been thinking (dreaming mostly) but getting tired of hacking up metal with a chop saw and no good way to cut sheet. So I want some thoughts on the subject. I have pretty much decided I am going to go with Hypertherm. My dilemma is whether to go with the 30XP or 45. Not in any real hurry so if there is news that a 45XP is on the horizon that could cause me to wait... I can. If anyone has any insight or leaked news that Hypertherm has something new coming out please share.

I understand the differences pretty well after doing the obligatory research but I have never owned a plasma so... I like the idea of having upgradeability to a CNC setup with the 45 but do I need it now or ever... no probably not (another dream/retirement money maker). I like the 110v option on the 30XP but do I need it... no, I have 220v available in my shop and likely am not taking it with me or lending it out. I like the extra power for thicker metal the 45 will give me but do I need it... don't think so. I like the lower price of the 30XP... do I need that... that answer should be yes.

I am a home hobbyist and I see myself cutting a lot of gauge material mostly and expanded metal. I do want clean cuts. I think I have decided but what are your thoughts?

/ Hypertherm 30xp vs 45 decision? #2  
Do you have a big enough compressor? If so do you have dry air? If not you'll go through a lot of consumables fast.

/ Hypertherm 30xp vs 45 decision? #3  
If money isn't too much of an issue I would take a tour of their factory. It's in New Hampshire so it'll be a trip for you but if you've never been to New England it's worth it. Others probably know his name but someone tied very close to the company posts here occasionally and has offered to give tours. Even though I can't justify the cost of one of their cutters I have wanted to go on a tour of the plant. Not sure if they could do it but it would be really cool to buy one right at the factory that you watched being built and talked with some of the workers who put it together (maybe even a picture or two). I doubt others would care as much but to me it would make it more than just another tool in my garage.

/ Hypertherm 30xp vs 45 decision? #4  
<snip>Even though I can't justify the cost of one of their cutters I have wanted to go on a tour of the plant. Not sure if they could do it but it would be really cool to buy one right at the factory that you watched being built and talked with some of the workers who put it together (maybe even a picture or two). I doubt others would care as much but to me it would make it more than just another tool in my garage.

It also often gives a big boost to employee morale. I was involved in a "small" army fielding program where most of the vehicles were assembled in Pennsylvania. The plant probably had about 60 people. It seemed every time we were able to bring in some soldiers who had actually used the equipment in the sand box smiles and happiness rates went up.

/ Hypertherm 30xp vs 45 decision? #5  
I have the PM30. Looks like the XP has more power. Unless you are going to be cutting more than 3/8", you probably don't need the capabilities of the 45. If you can swing the money, the extra power (which translates to speed on thicker material) is nice as well as the CNC features. Make sure you have enough compressor volume to run the cutter.

I've had no problem with consumable life with just my hobby use. Small water filter on the compressor, 75' of rubber air hose and a Motor Guard filter at the cutter. I get quite a bit of water from the water filter but never found the Motor Guard filter even damp. Its been a good setup for me.

/ Hypertherm 30xp vs 45 decision?
If money isn't too much of an issue I would take a tour of their factory. It's in New Hampshire so it'll be a trip for you but if you've never been to New England it's worth it. Others probably know his name but someone tied very close to the company posts here occasionally and has offered to give tours. Even though I can't justify the cost of one of their cutters I have wanted to go on a tour of the plant. Not sure if they could do it but it would be really cool to buy one right at the factory that you watched being built and talked with some of the workers who put it together (maybe even a picture or two). I doubt others would care as much but to me it would make it more than just another tool in my garage.
I know of the person you are referring. I will reach out to him as well. My company has a plant in neighboring Connecticut so maybe I can find a way to swing by? That would be fun. My company is also a US manufacturer so it would be a treat.

Do you have a big enough compressor? If so do you have dry air? If not you'll go through a lot of consumables fast.
That is a good question that I haven't checked yet. My compressor is a 20yr old Craftsman 220v 2Hp 100psi max compressor. Trying to read thru the crud on the label, it looks like it will (or least it used to) put out 6.1cfm @ 90psi.

As far as moisture, yeah I definitely will need to put a filtration system in line. In fact, I am afraid to twist the drain cock on the underside. The last time I did that I had a pool of rusty water. I cannot remember how many years that has been! :eek: I am sure there are more efficient compressors out there these days. I haven't compared specs but on my list of things to do.

/ Hypertherm 30xp vs 45 decision? #10  
I'll bet a plasma will kill that compressor in no time. Sounds like the tank may be in the danger zone already.:eek:
With the cost of a plasma, new compressor, and air dryer. Makes a port-a-band look real good right about now.;)

Attachments

• In place.JPG
    In place.JPG
    186.2 KB · Views: 258
  • IR cooler.JPG
    IR cooler.JPG
    244.4 KB · Views: 502
  • IR Temp.JPG
    IR Temp.JPG
    395.4 KB · Views: 458
  • IR Temp2.JPG
    IR Temp2.JPG