Welding - next step

/ Welding - next step #1  

Carol in CA

Tractor
John Deere 400
Having acquired a mig welder and a plasma cutter over Christmas, it was time to get serious about learning how to use the equipment properly.

Found this: Stack of Dimes Welding Seminars - Home about 50 miles from me. First class Saturday, Feb. 7.

Stoked!

/ Welding - next step #2  
Good for you!:thumbsup::thumbsup: He sure seems to be qualified to teach welding.

/ Welding - next step #3  
Carol something to think about when you go to class on Saturday. Ask the instructor if at some point you could take your Mig welder into class and let him find the sweet spots for you. Maybe different size wire, and all positions. Take a note book and write down the settings.
Mig welding is the easiest process to learn. The hard part is learning how to set the machine, and know how to read the puddle, and make corrections.

/ Welding - next step #4  
SA, You have a scowl after the power arc 200 but you posted a shot with a tig job that looked great. Comments, as I have PA 200st and recently got tig torch from Everlast. Came with a 7 pin connector, where does that go? Thanks.

/ Welding - next step #5  
I've never seen a PA-200ST. You'll have to ask Mark, he can tell you real quick.

/ Welding - next step #6  
SA, You have a scowl after the power arc 200 but you posted a shot with a tig job that looked great. Comments, as I have PA 200st and recently got tig torch from Everlast. Came with a 7 pin connector, where does that go? Thanks.

That's not a scowl.

That's a cool face.
:cool:

/ Welding - next step
I had already planned to take both the mig welder and the plasma cutter along. I will also have my smartphone to take pictures and make notes, and a notebook and pencil. Now I am praying my terrible back which has been a real pain lately doesn't incapacitate me. I am really looking forward to this!

/ Welding - next step #8  
Just think of all the money you will save making your own repairs, and building things!;)

Sorry to hear about your bad back.:(

/ Welding - next step #9  
Carol something to think about when you go to class on Saturday. Ask the instructor if at some point you could take your Mig welder into class and let him find the sweet spots for you. Maybe different size wire, and all positions. Take a note book and write down the settings.
Mig welding is the easiest process to learn. The hard part is learning how to set the machine, and know how to read the puddle, and make corrections.

Great advice Carol...my son and I are taking our new Lincoln PowerMig 210MP into a welding class with the instructor at the VOTec school. Exactly what the instructor also said--find the sweet spots on the machine.

/ Welding - next step
Report back from the class! Great teacher. Morning went by very quickly. Hardly had time to make notes. Turns out I was the only student this morning, so I had to really focus. I am much better than when I began. I need lots of practice. It was fun. I learned ow to find the sweet spot by listening and adjusting on the fly. Only took three tries to get the sweet spot by ear and then I did it three times in a row after he de-adjusted the machine! LOL! I was lucky, he said. Hadn't yet formed any bad habits! Hadn't ever tried it before, either!

I got some notes on what to purchase, what to stay away from, where the better deals are around where I live, and even how to keep my back from killing me. All in all a great experience and well worth every dime. Stack of Dimes Seminars if you are in Southern California.

Can't wait until next weekend when I hope I have time to play by myself. Have to pick up some practice iron and a 4" grinder this week.