Pay it forward.

/ Pay it forward. #1  

Shield Arc

Tractor
John Deere, 4200
A friend of my wife ask me if I would help her son-n-law with a project. He is in his senior year to be a mechanical engineer. This is his senior year project. Make a collapsible bicycle frame out of aluminum pipe. This is all we got done so far. Personally I don't think it will telescope in with out pivot points. But who am I? I can't even spell engineer. :eek:

Attachments

• Frame.jpg
    Frame.jpg
    233.3 KB · Views: 282
  • Frame 2.jpg
    Frame 2.jpg
    216.3 KB · Views: 233
  • A1.JPG
    A1.JPG
    234.2 KB · Views: 232
  • A2.JPG
    A2.JPG
    235.3 KB · Views: 219
  • A3.JPG
    A3.JPG
    240.9 KB · Views: 217
  • A4.JPG
    A4.JPG
    243.8 KB · Views: 191
  • A5.JPG
    A5.JPG
    238.5 KB · Views: 185
  • A6.JPG
    A6.JPG
    234.6 KB · Views: 180
  • F1.JPG
    F1.JPG
    233.4 KB · Views: 256
  • F2.JPG
    F2.JPG
    238.6 KB · Views: 188
  • F3.JPG
    F3.JPG
    238.3 KB · Views: 204
  • F4.JPG
    F4.JPG
    237.1 KB · Views: 224
  • F cope.JPG
    F cope.JPG
    238 KB · Views: 246
   / Pay it forward. #2  
I agree. The front top bar and bottom angle bar have no place to go unless disassembled. I hope that is aircraft grade tubing. There are eight load points on that frame not counting the telescoping sections.

Good luck.

Nice welding by the way. That part looks good.

/ Pay it forward. #3  
A triangle with rigid angles will telescope using 3 sides at the same time. Just 2 sides telescoping won't work. The 3rd side has to get shorter, too.

Bruce

/ Pay it forward.
He has made a few miscalculation so far:eek:. He said the first cope he made by hand took him 45-minutes. I showed him how to do it with a hole saw. He about fell over! :laughing:

/ Pay it forward. #5  
Things would be much easier if more engineers got involved with the construction or maintenance of what they design.

Bruce

/ Pay it forward.
I get the biggest kick out of these kids. Things we take for granted, they think is the coolest thing ever.:laughing:
This kid has no idea how to hands on build anything.

/ Pay it forward. #7  
A triangle with rigid angles will telescope using 3 sides at the same time. Just 2 sides telescoping won't work. The 3rd side has to get shorter, too.
Looks like that is being done for the front triangle, the seatpost and the other two bars all telescope...

Aaron Z

/ Pay it forward. #8  
Looks like that is being done for the front triangle, the seatpost and the other two bars all telescope...

Aaron Z
That is correct but there needs to be two pivot point at the front fork tube for this design to work. Top and bottom tubes will need to pivot.

/ Pay it forward. #9  
There are many versions of a logo with a 3 gear train symbolizing working together, etc. I'm hoping it is an artist's goof, not an engineer's.

SAuto1.jpg 5124_mod1_5mm_21-23T_gears1_1200px.jpg stock-photo-three-gears-meshing-together-over-white-25447069.jpg grinder-logo1.jpg stock-photo-pyramid-of-three-gears-linked-together-on-a-black-background-computer-generated-imag.jpg ThreeGears-S.jpg

Bruce

/ Pay it forward.
That is correct but there needs to be two pivot point at the front fork tube for this design to work. Top and bottom tubes will need to pivot.
That's the way I see it too. But I'm just a rigger, sometimes weldor.:eek: