Welding a Yanmar block. HELP

/ Welding a Yanmar block. HELP #1  

davecharles

Bronze Member
Tractor
Yanmar 2220D Yanmar 240D
I'm in the middle of a complete overhaul on my YM240 Yanmar. I was cleaning the block getting ready to install new liners, pistons, rings etc when I found a crack in the block (water jacket) below the water inlet. The horizontal crack is about 3 to 4 inches long. I know to drill the ends of the crack and clean out the crack. I need to know who has successfully welded an old Yanmar block. I have a mig welder with 75/25 gas or 100% helium. What wire is best on the iron? Any tips would be greatly appreciated. I am a novice welder. If it is too difficult to weld I can take it to my local machine shop.
Dave

/ Welding a Yanmar block. HELP #2  
Take it to a machine shop that has experience with cast iron repairs.

/ Welding a Yanmar block. HELP #4  
If you are not willing to pay a pro then drilling holes at each end of the crack to keep the crack from spreading and then brazing it is the surest and safest repair by a novice for most cast irons. That said, if the repair is more structural in nature to the engine block then I might rethink brazing, but brazing is stronger than most give it credit for. Simple non-structural water jacket no problem.

Drilling the holes at each crack end and then using an acetylene torch and appropriate cast filler rod can also be done but it takes skill.

Lock stitch is also good but can be pricey.

Arc welding on cast can be a big mistake if done wrong especially on something that has to expand and contract with temperature changes like an engine block has to. If this was a $10 part then I might risk some less than recommended repairs but an expensive engine block then I would limit my risks for things to go awry and use the best method that I could for the crack type - especially on an engine that I was rebuilding.

/ Welding a Yanmar block. HELP #5  
If you are goint to weld then use a Ni rod designed to weld cast iron. I would also preheat and control cool the welded cast. If it is not a stress being area braze the crack as others have said.

/ Welding a Yanmar block. HELP #6  
Yes, brazing is an option BUT in order to braze it, it has to be stripped down to the bare block a preheated to 1000 deg's or so. Some people have had success with a good epoxy on a water jacket leak.

/ Welding a Yanmar block. HELP #7  
Here is a very interesting read on cast iron welding. Not near as easy as one would think.
Be sure to view the powerpoint presentation at the bottom of the page.
Cast Iron Welding

/ Welding a Yanmar block. HELP #8  
How about placing the block in the kitchen oven at 550F for six hours. Then weld with Muggy Weld rods.

/ Welding a Yanmar block. HELP #9  
I have limited experience welding cast, but have done it. Had to repair an expensive racing engine block one time. It was a shot in the dark, either fix the old block or buy a new one and than do all the expensive machineing needed to get it race ready. Nothing to lose by trying to weld it so I did. First thing I did was drill the ends of the crack. Then vee'd out with angle grinder. Then took a propane torch (weed burner) and preheated around the weld area to 900*f. I kept the propane torch handy during the entire welding process. I would weld about 1 inch at a time using my mig and 70es wire. I would then take the torch and apply heat until the entire weld area was a even 900*f and then repeat procedure of welding, 1 inch at a time and add heat. Once weld was complete, we set the entire engine block over the wood heater with a roaring fire and let set until fire died and engine cooled off. No cracks and engine won ten races that year and has been rebuilt several times since.

I also brazed up a old water pump that had froze and busted the whole side out of it. I didnt have the money to buy a new pump, so it was either fix it or do without water. Followed pretty much same procedure as welding the engine block, except at that time I didnt have a propane torch to preheat with. Since it was winter and I had a fire in the old barrel stove, I set the pump head on top of the stove and did all brazing with pump setting on the stove. I had every thing on I could to keep the stove from burning me up while brazing and it took several step backs away from the stove for me to cool off before the braze was complete. Left pump head on stove over nite and put together and reinstalled the next day. Far as I know that pump is still in the pump house and working fine.

/ Welding a Yanmar block. HELP #10