Tired of Painting!

/ Tired of Painting! #1  

truckdiagnostics

Platinum Member
Tractor
7753 bobcat
Yes that is the wife's oven. Figured out a use for a perfectly good oven, and now i can feel better about paying to replace it.:cool2: I'm going to figure out how to powder coat my welding projects. I am sick and tired of spending hours on making something, then paint it, which takes almost as long to paint it, and still looks like poop, then have it rust in a year. Yes, I have tried Imron paint, like it it is expensive, an absolute pain for a small batch.
IMAG0218.jpg
Thought is to lay it on its side. That way I don't have to lean over the door. I'll make a roll around stand, then I have a long cord that I just plug into the plug for the welder. When I am done wheel it away. The oven is not going to fit the larger stuff, but a guy has to start some where.
IMAG0217.jpg
Bought the above on sale at HF for $50?, friend uses it, says it is the best bang for your buck. He says not to use there powder..... so i will have to figure out where to get that. Still have to pretty things up, I just wanted to plug things in after dissecting, the burners.
working towards this.
Powder Coating: The Complete Guide: How to Build a Powder Coating Oven

/ Tired of Painting! #3  
One concern for the oven on its side. The location of the thermostat in orientation to the elements may not work properly. Thermostat may not be in the proper location to sense the actual internal temps. The heat rising from the now lower edge of the element will be adding heat to the upper portions of the element and may shorten the life.

I did not look that closely, but if is a convection oven then all may be okay!

/ Tired of Painting! #4  
Actually, that's a good point about having the oven on it's side, and I'd say insulation and element placement are others. The oven should probably be run vertical the way it was designed.

/ Tired of Painting!
Thought about that, put the vent in the wrong spot too. Still don't want to lean over the door. Going to have to think about ti.

/ Tired of Painting! #6  
That would be handy to be able to put on a durable coating. Do you envision leaning over the door for long periods of time? Maybe set it on a stand higher off the ground?

/ Tired of Painting! #7  
How about using the oven in upright orientation but install a rolling rack at the top of the oven to hang material from. You could then just roll the rack out to attach or retrieve painted items and the leaning over the door would be minimized. Probably need to secure the rear bottom of the oven so it doesn't tip forward.

/ Tired of Painting! #8  
Keep the oven orientation intact. Utilize loading it into your fitness regime. Bend your knees and keep your back straight. Concentrate on your abs. Take it slow.
Have fun.

Terry

/ Tired of Painting!
Well, tipping it on its side was a simple solution. There is a burner on the top, so fasting a sliding rack to the top when originating it in its original configuration is not going to be as easy when it was on its side. When the oven is in its original configuration you can not reach to the back of the oven with the door open. I do agree I am going to have to put the oven up right and deal with, make a rack that will slid out and I can hang parts on. Now, on a side note, why do the oven doors open down in the first place?

/ Tired of Painting! #10  
I agree it will be more convenient with a door opening left or right. Can't you abandon whats there and add hinges and latch on the vertical?

Last edited: