Drill Bits - Need some help and advice

/ Drill Bits - Need some help and advice #1  

woodlandfarms

Tractor
PowerTrac 1850, Kubota RTV x900
So I am going to break down and put a bit of money out for decent drill bits. Looking for 1/2" shank, looking for larger sizes (1/2" and up), and looking to punch holes in mild steel up to 1/2" thick.

So, guide me wise ones. I am looking for bits that will last, at a fair price. I am using this on a smallish drill press and a heavy duty makita hand held. One day I will buy better but that is not in the cards for the moment.

Any and all advice gladdly taken.

/ Drill Bits - Need some help and advice #2  
Maybe not the advice you are looking for, but I buy Harbor Freight bits and just keep sharpening them with my Drill Doctor. They cut well with adequate lubrication and can be resharpened almost infinitely. When I get up to 5/8" or larger, I forget about drill bits and go with bi-metal hole saws.

/ Drill Bits - Need some help and advice #3  
I do the same thing as KennyG, except I sharpen by hand. Also when drilling larger holes that are not going to be tapped, I use rota broaches.

Attachments

• Drills 1.JPG
    Drills 1.JPG
    94.7 KB · Views: 295
  • Drills 2.JPG
    Drills 2.JPG
    87.1 KB · Views: 372
   / Drill Bits - Need some help and advice #4  
I just bought a set of milwaukee black oxide drill bits and they can cut..

/ Drill Bits - Need some help and advice #5  
As noted already the best thing you can do is learn how to sharpen drill bits by hand. After that every thing else is easy. For info on drilling speeds aka use 4 X the SFM divided by the diameter. Use 100 SFM for mild steel and work up and down from there. Later.

/ Drill Bits - Need some help and advice #6  
Carl, if you were going to do a LOT of tapped holes Evolution has annular cutters in tap sizes down to 1/2" - I bought one for 3/4"-10, not 'cause I'm gonna tap that size but because it's a perfect size for receiver hitch pins, just a bit of slop - 21/32".

Amazon.com: Evolution CC21/32L 21/32-Inch Diameter x 2-Inch Depth of Cut Cyclone High Speed Steel Annular Cutter: Home Improvement

Click on their size button - it's kinda goofy though, mixed up inch/metric so 21/32 is right next to 21mm... Steve

/ Drill Bits - Need some help and advice #7  
Wow, I didn't know annular cutters came in 1/32" increments!:shocked: I've been using these for years on the job. Thanks so much for the link:thumbsup:, I bookmarked it!

/ Drill Bits - Need some help and advice #8  
I like triumph brand thunderbit drill bits.

/ Drill Bits - Need some help and advice #9  
If I don't have to be accurate with the hole size I have two tapered reamers, I put the shank in the lath and turned down to 1/2". One starts at 3/8 I want to say that one goes to 5/8. Then I have one that starts at 1/2 and goes to?, but you got the point. Works real well. Then I just buy a bunch of good 3/8 bits. Other wise if I don't have to be accurate I just punch them with a whole saw. Did it this way for years. It is only recently I invested in a set of tapered shank bits from 1/2" to 1" for the drill press.

/ Drill Bits - Need some help and advice
I desperatly need to learn how to sharpen a drill bit. I tried once and it was so jacked up.... never tried again.

So stupid me, what is SFM? Can you give me an example of the math you are showing?

Also, hole saws, How do you sharpen them? Do you sharpen them?

Drilling speed. I think my drill press is like 200RPM I feel it might be too fast for larger bits. THoughts?