Why does flux core wire weld thicker metal than MIG?

/ Why does flux core wire weld thicker metal than MIG? #1  

sixdogs

Super Star Member
Tractor
Kubota M7040, Kubota MX5100, Deere 790 TLB, Farmall Super C
Why does the same machine setup with flux core wire weld thicker metal than the same machine set up as MIG? My Lincoln SP170T owner's manual gives a chart that shows flux wire welding a noticeably thicker steel than just MIG wire with shielding gas. I don't understand this.

/ Why does flux core wire weld thicker metal than MIG? #2  
I don't really know the technical answer:eek:. I would assume because flux core has a hotter puddle. Now dual shield with gas coverage, has the best of both worlds. Slag and gas coverage.

I have welded up to 4-inch thick material with 1/16-inch Mig wire. Worked in a fab shop in the 1970s, we had to test every 3-months with Mig on 1-inch thick V-butt plates.

/ Why does flux core wire weld thicker metal than MIG?
Flux core with gas. Very interesting.

/ Why does flux core wire weld thicker metal than MIG? #4  
You'll see dual shield used more often than Mig in structural fab shops. And boy is it fast! :cool2:

/ Why does flux core wire weld thicker metal than MIG? #5  
Why does the same machine setup with flux core wire weld thicker metal than the same machine set up as MIG? My Lincoln SP170T owner's manual gives a chart that shows flux wire welding a noticeably thicker steel than just MIG wire with shielding gas. I don't understand this.

I think it has to do with the vapor that the flux core wire makes.

Kind of like using helium, instead of argon, will produced a hotter weld (same current) with TIG welding.

You'll see dual shield used more often than Mig in structural fab shops. And boy is it fast! :cool2:

What does the weld look like? Quality?

/ Why does flux core wire weld thicker metal than MIG? #7  
Here are some dual shield welds I made a few years ago.
First pictures shows the slag coverage.
Third picture is a vertical up hill weld.

Attachments

• 710X slag.JPG
    710X slag.JPG
    227 KB · Views: 596
  • -2.0 best.JPG
    -2.0 best.JPG
    227.9 KB · Views: 475
  • V1.jpg
    V1.jpg
    543.3 KB · Views: 1,723
wow is that impressive.

/ Why does flux core wire weld thicker metal than MIG? #9  
I didn't do any of the welding, I was the project superintendent. This was for an outfall just down river of the Bonneville dam, on the Columbia river. We drove 10-feet diameter pipe, drilled them out, and welded another section to the driven section, and drove it. The outboard piles went over 200-feet into the rock. All welded with dual shield, 100% x-ray.

Attachments

• 10-foot pipe.jpg
    10-foot pipe.jpg
    42.9 KB · Views: 267
  • D.B. Pacific.jpg
    D.B. Pacific.jpg
    47.1 KB · Views: 217
  • King Kong.jpg
    King Kong.jpg
    50.8 KB · Views: 224
  • project_bonneville.jpg
    project_bonneville.jpg
    37.2 KB · Views: 219
   / Why does flux core wire weld thicker metal than MIG? #10  
I didn't do any of the welding, I was the project superintendent. This was for an outfall just down river of the Bonneville dam, on the Columbia river. We drove 10-feet diameter pipe, drilled them out, and welded another section to the driven section, and drove it. The outboard piles went over 200-feet into the rock. All welded with dual shield, 100% x-ray.

Would love to be able to have a close up look at that kind of operation. how long does it take to drive a pile that deep, and how far does it go with each blow of the pile driver.