Shade chart for MIG auto helmet guidance needed

/ Shade chart for MIG auto helmet guidance needed #1  

sixdogs

Super Star Member
Tractor
Kubota M7040, Kubota MX5100, Deere 790 TLB, Farmall Super C
Can you take a look at the shade chart below and tell me what you guys think? Do you agree with the settings for MIG? I have a Lincoln SP 170T @220 and am using .025 MIG but am on the verge upgrading to more MIG power. Thank you.

Shade-Chart2.gif

/ Shade chart for MIG auto helmet guidance needed #2  
I run my Jackson WF50 Boss helmet on 9 up to about 140 amps (.035 wire, 280-300 IPM, C25 gas) - but it has a fairly dark "no arc" filter to begin with... Steve

/ Shade chart for MIG auto helmet guidance needed #3  
It comes down more to you and your eyes - the chart is for guidance. Start with the recommended setting. If you can't see enough, lighten it up a notch. If it is too bright, darken a notch. Keep adjusting until you are comfortable. Helmets may differ among the brands and unit to unit to some degree, so what works on one may be a notch off on another.

/ Shade chart for MIG auto helmet guidance needed
It comes down more to you and your eyes - the chart is for guidance. Start with the recommended setting. If you can't see enough, lighten it up a notch. If it is too bright, darken a notch. Keep adjusting until you are comfortable. Helmets may differ among the brands and unit to unit to some degree, so what works on one may be a notch off on another.

I didn't realize you could adjust a little bit up or down to compensate for individual use. Good to know. Thank you.

/ Shade chart for MIG auto helmet guidance needed #5  
Also when working in bright sunlight, go with a lighter lens shade than when working indoors. When outside, your pupils are closed tight so very little light is getting in so you need a lighter shade. Inside is just opposite, eye ball is dilated so more light gets thru to the optic nerve so you need a darker lens to be comfortable.
As already mentioned, just adjust your lens shade (assuming adjustable auto dark hood) so you can see the weld and surrounding area but not so light that you squint. You should be able to see the puddle well but also see the surrounding metal as in groove of a joint so you know where to guide the rod or torch. If the shade is too dark, you could end up welding down the plate instead of where you intended.

By the way, I have never seen any use for a #13 lens, I don't even think you could see the sun with that. Even at 500 amps, a number 12 is still pretty dark. Before advent of auto dark hoods I used a number 10 gold lens by American Optical for everything indoors and it was OK for inside work, but if I move outside, I switched it out for a #9 shade.

I worked on pressure piping and vessels so any arcs struck outside the weld bevel could get you fired or at least reprimanded and the arc strike had to be ground out, dye penetrant checked for cracks and then welded up, so they didn't want those to happen. A welder had to be able to see a bit before the arc was struck therefore # 10 was plenty dark for protection and comfort.

/ Shade chart for MIG auto helmet guidance needed #6  
I always worry about having a shade that's too light, because I don't seem to be able to see very well anymore without tons of light. Would I be wrong in assuming that you probably can't turn up the shade on a mask to a degree that you could harm your eyes?

I have a friend that has welded an insane amount probably for fifty years and am utterly amazed at how much better his eyesight is than mine! I thought, the poor guy might be practically blind by now.

/ Shade chart for MIG auto helmet guidance needed #7  
I always worry about having a shade that's too light, because I don't seem to be able to see very well anymore without tons of light. Would I be wrong in assuming that you probably can't turn up the shade on a mask to a degree that you could harm your eyes?

The UV protection is there whether the lens darkens or not, so you always have the same level of protection.

With fixed shade passive lenses, the UV protection is the same for all shades.

/ Shade chart for MIG auto helmet guidance needed
I sometimes put floodlights behind me and off to the side and it helps me see better.

/ Shade chart for MIG auto helmet guidance needed #9  
Yep on the UV and IR protection - it is a passive part of the lens, and does not depend on the auto darkening feature. I have also used additional lighting to help me see at times, and can be a big help.

I used my Speedglass set to 14 to watch the transit of Mercury across the sun a couple years back. I was able to see it, though it was tiny and hard to resolve with the naked eye. You needed 14 to be able to see anything...

/ Shade chart for MIG auto helmet guidance needed #10  
Any reflection off your clothes and up into the hood will cause your iris' to close too. I've never been able to use more than a 10 unless I'm really cooking with power. When the lens covers get dirty, it's 9 all the time.

Even with 20/17 eye sight, I discovered I like a 2.5 cheater lens in the hood better than my natural vision. Same reason doctors use a loupe.