Advice on welding link repair

/ Advice on welding link repair #1  

HCJtractor

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota M6800, Massey Ferguson 240
Broke the ball link on my telescopic stabilizer. I found a weldable link at tractor supply that matches. I ground out the broken area and fitted the new one. Being a rookie welder, I'm reluctant to go further. But I would rather repair it myself than take it to a professional. Please advise me. This new link is forged. Should I bevel this out more to get access to the deeper surfaces? Pre heat the parts? What welder, stick or MIG. I'm assuming stick and thought about 7018. What would you experts do? I'm trying to learn and improve my skills. And this part is not a critical one.

image-2114241716.jpg

image-3041564252.jpg

image-3810933798.jpg

image-2742140097.jpg

image-3272860222.jpg

/ Advice on welding link repair #2  
No expert here:eek:! But what I would do is grind off the paint on the eye. Put 4 tacks on the new eye. Preheat to a couple hundred degrees. Weld it all the way around with either 7018, or Lincoln's L-56 Mig wire. Place the eye end in a bucket, and cover with sand, until cold / over night.

/ Advice on welding link repair
Thanks Shield Arc. You're no expert? Right. I've seen your work. So other than the paint, is my prep work enough? I'm assuming the weld won't go deeply in the gap. So the surface weld all the way around is sufficient? Dumb question, but will preheating draw the molten puddle into the gap?

/ Advice on welding link repair #4  
Your prep work looks real good:thumbsup:. I really like how the new eye is inserted into the bar! If I had to suggest one thing. Is to put a bevel all the way around on your bar. A bevel will ensure more penetration!

Preheating is just to remove the moisture in the iron. Preheat is important, but so is a slow cool down post weld.

Here is how I would tack it up. Make tack 1. Check for alignment. Bang it back into alignment if you need to. Make tack 2. Check for alignment. Make tacks 3 and 4. Preheat, and weld up;).

Attachments

• Top link tacks.JPG
    Top link tacks.JPG
    205.5 KB · Views: 214
   / Advice on welding link repair #5  
No worries man, prep overall is great - take off the paint, grind a bevel, weld it up :)

Easy stuff like this is excellent for learning in my opinion.

Thanks guys. Best way to pre heat? Use a rosebud on my torch? If so, how hot to get it?

/ Advice on welding link repair #7  
Use a rosebud on my torch? If so, how hot to get it?
That or just the cutting tip. It won't take much.

Generally you can touch 300-degrees with your bare hand, just not sure you want to do it again anytime real soon!:laughing:

/ Advice on welding link repair #8  
Don't listen to that Shield Arc guy. He just got his first welder last week. :laughing: But seriously...

Your prep work with the embedded new ball assembly is quite interesting. Haven't seen that technique before. It should work well.

My thought would be to bevel the receiving gap in the lift arm all around and bevel the ball assembly all around the welding area also.

Then, after tacking, hit all the gaps with a layer of 1/8" 6011 run fairly hot to get maximum penetration down the gaps and into the base metals. Then cover with as many layers of 7018 necessary to get it to flush or slightly above. Hit it with a grinder and it will be better than new.

I did a similar thing with a CAT 2 Pat's Quick Connect weld-on model. Had to cut off the OEM balls and bevel the he|| out of the mating surfaces. The 6011 really anchored the pieces and the 7018 added the bulk (fill) and strength. They have stood up to some remarkable stresses.

Bottom line is that you have the right idea and the pro weldors on here generously shared how to do the job with perfection.

/ Advice on welding link repair #9  
It will be stronger than original they way you have it as long as you get a decent weld. You could even preheat it with a small propane torch like is used to solder copper pipe. The eyes are made to weld on. I would lean toward using 7018 since MIG for a beginner can be deceiving if it has proper fusion and penetration. 1/8" 7018 at around 130 amps all around will be more than strong enough.

Thanks to all. I welded it tonight with 7018. It turned out ok for a beginner. I'll post pictures tomorrow. I laughed at shield arcs modesty. He's no expert? Kinda like Michelangelo was a ok artist. But it's pretty nice that here on TBN a professional like him and others will take their time to advise a hack like me. It's appreciated!