My C25 CGA 580 MIG welder regulator blew out today - anyway to fix it?

/ My C25 CGA 580 MIG welder regulator blew out today - anyway to fix it? #1  

FTG-05

Elite Member
Tractor
Kubota L4330 GST w/FEL, Kubota RTV-XG850, Kubota ZD326S
I've had my Lincoln SP-175 Plus since around Feb. 1999. Still using the C25 regulator that came with it. Today sometime while I was welding, the regulator blew out.

I noticed my crappy welds (well more than usual) and thought that I had forgotten to turn on the gas. Went to look at it and noticed the regulated meter was pegged. Turning down the regulator did nothing. So I turned the gas off and the welder and here I am - stuck until I can get another regulator or this one fixed. :mad:

Recommendations and/or suggestions?

Thanks!

/ My C25 CGA 580 MIG welder regulator blew out today - anyway to fix it? #2  
I've purchased two flowmeters from HTP Weld. Good prices and really good customer service.

Terry

/ My C25 CGA 580 MIG welder regulator blew out today - anyway to fix it? #3  
I've purchased two flowmeters from HTP Weld. Good prices and really good customer service.

Terry

I second the HTP Welds suggestion. The gas lens kit I got from them works great and says it is American made. Tractor Supply has regulators on the shelf. Not sure about the quality, but here they're open til 7 on Sunday.

/ My C25 CGA 580 MIG welder regulator blew out today - anyway to fix it?
   / My C25 CGA 580 MIG welder regulator blew out today - anyway to fix it? #7  
usaweld.com is their store. The HTP site is old.

/ My C25 CGA 580 MIG welder regulator blew out today - anyway to fix it? #8  

^ ^ +1 ^ ^

I like these too. Note it differs from the gauge type in that:

1) Can't blow the diaphragm on this type of regulator because there is no diaphragm. And there's no needle to slam, you don't have to open the main gas valve slowly.
2) Keep in mind it uses gravity. Only gives you the correct flow (and the number) if the ball indicator is VERTICAL. If the tank is not vertical you have to adjust the ball unit to be vertical.
3) Not only CAN you open the gas valve quickly, if you do so, and the ball does NOT jump, that suggests your system has NO leaks. I like this!

/ My C25 CGA 580 MIG welder regulator blew out today - anyway to fix it? #9  
^ ^ +1 ^ ^

I like these too. Note it differs from the gauge type in that:

1) Can't blow the diaphragm on this type of regulator because there is no diaphragm. And there's no needle to slam, you don't have to open the main gas valve slowly.
2) Keep in mind it uses gravity. Only gives you the correct flow (and the number) if the ball indicator is VERTICAL. If the tank is not vertical you have to adjust the ball unit to be vertical.
3) Not only CAN you open the gas valve quickly, if you do so, and the ball does NOT jump, that suggests your system has NO leaks. I like this!

If there is no diaphram, how does it drop the tank pressure to a safe level?
Or does it give full tank pressure on the output side?

I believe these have an internal non-adjustable regulator built-in.

And therefore you should still try to open the tank slowly.

/ My C25 CGA 580 MIG welder regulator blew out today - anyway to fix it? #10  
^ ^ +1 ^ ^ I like these too. Note it differs from the gauge type in that: 1) Can't blow the diaphragm on this type of regulator because there is no diaphragm. And there's no needle to slam, you don't have to open the main gas valve slowly. 2) Keep in mind it uses gravity. Only gives you the correct flow (and the number) if the ball indicator is VERTICAL. If the tank is not vertical you have to adjust the ball unit to be vertical. 3) Not only CAN you open the gas valve quickly, if you do so, and the ball does NOT jump, that suggests your system has NO leaks. I like this!

I have both types (literally six of one and half dozen of the other). I highly recommend the flow type with the ball for all the reasons you've mentioned.

However, I prefer the regulator and gauge type as it's quicker( for me) to set and read at a glance. Opening valves slowly they taught us in high school and it is second nature to me anyways. :)

Terry