how to line up ?

/ how to line up ? #1  

scons

Bronze Member
Tractor
NH Boomer 50
Hi,

I want to weld this piece of pto axle to a smaller rod (0.63 inch). Is there a technique to line out the axles of the pieces so they are lined up ?

I have no lathe.

axle_20150825_124852.jpg

axle_20150825_124906.jpg

Suggestions are welcome

/ how to line up ? #2  
I would find the center of the PTO shaft. Center punch it. Use a set of dividers to draw a circle 0.63" in diameter. Shim the 0.63" rod to the proper height, and use a straight edge to check for alignment. This is the easy part, without a weld positioner it is going to be real hard to keep the weld the same size all the way around the shaft. Most likely it will pull out of alignment!

/ how to line up ? #3  
I did this once. 1st I wrecked one set by lining it up and trying to tack it. It kept moving around with each tack and was out of plumb when fully welded. So much so that 540 rpm's it was too wild. I got another set and took them to a machine shop and they counter sunk the shaft into the spline 5/8". I welded it again and it turned out good enough. Still did 6 tack welds at opposite sides prior to burning it in.

/ how to line up ? #4  
Clamp the pieces in a piece of angle iron. Figure the thickness of shims you need to bring the small piece up to the center of the large piece. Keep it clamped tight while you weld it, then turn it and clamp again before making the next weld. You will probably want to weld a flat piece to the angle iron so you have a flat place for the C clamp.

/ how to line up ? #5  
put spline it in a lathe ... drill a hole in the center to match the rod ... slide rod in and weld

or spline in drill press base , find the center ... drill to match the rod ... ....

in all cases .. find the center of the spline , match to the center of the rod , then weld

/ how to line up ?
Thanks for your answers guys, it seems this will give me a challenge. I will try to clamp it as good as possible, but if the result is not good, I think I will buy a longer piece of pto shaft and bring it to a workshop with a lathe.

I am trying to make some sort of actuator, driven by the pto of the tractor, so this axle will be on a fixed mount in 2 pillow blocks. It doens't have to be 101% perfect but to reduce vibrations, and long term life it needs to be so in-line as possible.

/ how to line up ? #7  
You could use one of these with a bushing: https://www.surpluscenter.com/Power...-X-1-3-8-6T-SPLINE-F-M-PTO-ADAPTER-1-2241.axd

Spline Adapter.jpg

----------------

I am trying to make some sort of actuator, driven by the pto of the tractor, so this axle will be on a fixed mount in 2 pillow blocks. It doens't have to be 101% perfect but to reduce vibrations, and long term life it needs to be so in-line as possible.
If it is driven by the PTO, seems like you would need this to go on the PTO shaft: 1-3/8 6T TO 1 BORE SNAP HITCH ADAPTER

1-3+8+6T+TO+1+BORE+SNAP+HITCH+ADAPTER_L.jpg

/ how to line up ?
Great ! Hadn't thought on these yet, another option, thanks.

/ how to line up ? #9  
For centering without a lathe, mark center with machinist square, center punch, either drill both pieces for a tight fitting small pin to help keep the first weld tack from pulling off center, (or counter bore the spline with borrowed lathe as already suggested). After tacking lightly in 3 or 4 spots, tap with wood block and hammer to get it true. A couple of V-blocks clamped up and dial indicator can help if you don't have a lathe. After welding, recheck for true. If it's not, you can heat it to red and wail away with a hammer (gently) to true it up.

/ how to line up ? #10  
I made some pin punches up by drilling a hole in the centers of the 2 pieces, and then used the drill bit itself as the pin to hold the 2 pieces together,,