Hypertherm 30 xp

/ Hypertherm 30 xp #1  

joeu235

Platinum Member
Tractor
John Deere 4020 / 6403 / 317 Ford 5600
I bought a Hypertherm 30XP plasma cutter last week. So for I've used it mostly coping 2 3/8 drill stem, pattern cutting pipe joints that meet at a 60 degree angle. This thing is awesome. I find it amazing that compressed air and electricity can cut through 3/16 pipe effortlessly.

/ Hypertherm 30 xp #2  
I find it amazing that compressed air and electricity can cut through 3/16 pipe effortlessly.
Oh they can do better than that!;)

Attachments

• 90 degree.jpg
    90 degree.jpg
    40.4 KB · Views: 271
   / Hypertherm 30 xp #3  
I bought a Hypertherm 30XP plasma cutter last week. So for I've used it mostly coping 2 3/8 drill stem, pattern cutting pipe joints that meet at a 60 degree angle. This thing is awesome. I find it amazing that compressed air and electricity can cut through 3/16 pipe effortlessly.

Now you can't live without one. Just like getting your first cell phone.

I have an earlier version of your machine, and I find that you can cut much thicker than it's rated for. I once beveled a 5/8" snowplow cutting edge. I thought it would eat up one set of consumables, but both the nozzle and the electrode looked fine when I was done.

/ Hypertherm 30 xp #4  
Agree! I looked at the 45 vs 30xp. Ended up with the 30xp and it is truly a fantastic tool for me. Make sure you register it with Hypertherm and sign up for the ARC news letter. Filled with info and ideas. Great NH company that's employee owned.
Oops ---- Spark not Arc

Last edited:
   / Hypertherm 30 xp #5  
Thanks for buying the 30XP!

Jim Colt Hypertherm

/ Hypertherm 30 xp #6  
I bought my 30XP a few months ago, after agonizing over spending that much for something I would rarely use. Now I look for excuses to cut steel and look forward to it. I just recently made a 4 way splitter for my log splitter. Most of the steel was 3/8" and 1/2". All cut with the 30xp. Cutting the 1/2" was not slow at all and the cut quality was great. I even cut some 1/2" at about a 30 degree angle. That was very slow and the results weren't the best. But that is way more depth than the machine is rated for and it saved me a ton of grinding. So now I am thinking I should have bought the 45. Kind of like 2 footitis with boats. :)

Yesterday I had to cut away some steel attached to the frame of my quad and the 30xp made it an easy task. I would never have attempted it with oxy/fuel. Today I get to weld it back together with my MIG. Another favorite tool.

I hope you enjoy your 30xp as much as I enjoy mine.

/ Hypertherm 30 xp #7  
The 30XP is truly industrial performance and quality in a plasma cutter that is focused on the small shop / hobbyist. It is more expensive to buy as compared to the dozens of Asian import plasma cutters, however it will prove to be a tool that is lower cost to use (about 6x to 10x the consumable life of other plasmas) and while it is rated at only 30 Amps output it will cut circles around most 40 and 50 amp plasma cutters. If you are looking to buy a plasma cutter....see if you can test cut at the local suppliers. A couple of cuts on various thicknesses will definitely demonstrate the difference in technology.

Jim Colt

/ Hypertherm 30 xp #8  
Jim is right, I had an older Hypertherm that I let go with all my other welding equipment last year after I got hurt. That thing was AWESOME, the only thing an O-A torch could do that it did not do BETTER was heating metal. I love the surgical precision of plasma!

Now I'm stuck looking for one of the "Angry Beavers" from the TV ad to cut metal with....

/ Hypertherm 30 xp #9  
What I love about my Hypertherm 1250, is the scarfing option. It will scarf a weld out without
having to deal with the carbon deposits of carbon arc gouging. :thumbsup:

Attachments

• scarf 2.jpg
    scarf 2.jpg
    248.9 KB · Views: 170
   / Hypertherm 30 xp #10  
I am very jealous of your plasma cutter but for pipe notching, you might want to look into something like this - https://www.jd2.com/p-63-notchmaster.aspx. I have one of these and it really makes the job easy. I'm amazed at how long a bi-metal hole saw will last on one of these when lubricated, I've made about 100 cuts with mine so far and am still on my first one.