Plasma Cutter Settings

/ Plasma Cutter Settings #1  

Hilbilly

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota Grand L6060HSTCC
I've got a Hypertherm 30xp and have been using it a fair bit lately (hobby use). The other day I used the fine cut nozzle on 120 v and was surprised at how fast it cut through 3/16" plate at a 20 A setting. I usually run it on 240 V using the general cutting tip and leave the amperage setting all the way up (30A). My question is, should I be adjusting the amperage for different thickness metal or just leave the amperage at max? Are there any advantages / disadvantages to using a lower amperage setting, other than having a higher duty cycle on lower amperage settings? Will my consumables be damaged faster by using the max setting on thinner materials?

/ Plasma Cutter Settings #2  
That's a really good question. I too would be interested in the answer.

My Miller manual doesn't go into much detail. Apparently the Hypertherm manual is much more comprehensive. In the interim I would just for with their recommendations.

Terry

/ Plasma Cutter Settings #3  
Using a plasma cutter at to high of amps for the thickness of material being cut, is like using an oxygen & acetylene, or oxygen & propane torch with to big of a tip. It's a matter of how fast can you move! Or you'll weld the cut back together, if you don't move fast enough!

These are the cut charts for my Hypertherm Powermax 1250.

Attachments

• Cut chart 1.jpg
    Cut chart 1.jpg
    261.1 KB · Views: 12,645
  • Cut chart 2.jpg
    Cut chart 2.jpg
    262.2 KB · Views: 4,785
  • Cut chart 3.jpg
    Cut chart 3.jpg
    193.1 KB · Views: 10,214
   / Plasma Cutter Settings
That's a really good question. I too would be interested in the answer.

My Miller manual doesn't go into much detail. Apparently the Hypertherm manual is much more comprehensive. In the interim I would just for with their recommendations.

Terry

The Hypertherm manual for the 30xp is like the one Shield Arc posted for the 1250. It lists cut speeds for various material thicknesses and 2 different amperage settings and 2 different voltage inputs. It appears that there is no need to find the lowest amperage setting for the material thickness being cut. Rather, adjust the cut speed based on what is happening in the cut.

/ Plasma Cutter Settings
Using a plasma cutter at to high of amps for the thickness of material being cut, is like using an oxygen & acetylene, or oxygen & propane torch with to big of a tip. It's a matter of how fast can you move! Or you'll weld the cut back together, if you don't move fast enough!

These are the cut charts for my Hypertherm Powermax 1250.

Looks like you better have your running shoes on when you cut thin stuff with the 1250.:)

/ Plasma Cutter Settings #6  
One thing that really helps with speed, is a magnetic burning square.

Attachments

• Burning square 2.JPG
    Burning square 2.JPG
    243.5 KB · Views: 392
  • Burning square plasma.JPG
    Burning square plasma.JPG
    239.2 KB · Views: 346
   / Plasma Cutter Settings
One thing that really helps with speed, is a magnetic burning square.

I like that. Did you make it? Is that aluminum bolted to the square?

Looks like something I could put together. I've been using pieces of flat bar clamped to the work piece but sometimes clamping can be difficult and I have already pulled the torch over the flat bar once. Sure glad I wasn't just holding the flat bar with my free hand.:shocked:

/ Plasma Cutter Settings #8  
No I didn't make it. I did add the aluminum angle to work better with the plasma torch. You'll have to do a search, there are several different types of burning squares on the market.;)

/ Plasma Cutter Settings #9  
You can run it wide open on thin material if you want to. You'll get a wider kerf and higher travel speed. You don't want to run 20 amp tips on 30 amps. Match tip to output amps.. Besides, 30 amps is considered a pretty low amp output in the plasma world.

/ Plasma Cutter Settings #10  
Hilbilly,

There are a number of pages of cut charts in your Powermax30XP operators manual that provide suggest power levels and approximate cut speeds. Here are some details and suggestions:

- The 30XP will run on 120 volt or 230 volt input. The Finecut parts were designed to use lower airflow as well as a lower arc voltage......which allows for lower input amperage draw even when cutting thicker materials.

- You can use the Finecut parts at the full 30 amp output, however if running on 120 volt input power you will trip a 20 amp circuit breaker after 10 to 20 seconds of cutting, maybe quicker on thicker materials (higher arc voltage).

-If you set the amperage output at 20 Amps when using the Finecut consumables.....you can cut continuously on a 20 amp, 120 volt power circuit without tripping the breaker.

-The Finecut parts are not shielded like the 30 amp standard parts. Excellent cut quality with a very narrow kerf can be expected with these , but somewhat shorter nozzle orifice life as compared to the standard shielded parts. I use them when I need best cut quality, and when I need to operate on a 120 volt, 20 amp input circuit.

-Yes, the Finecut parts will wear out faster at 30 amps as compared to when operating them at 20 amps.

-If you have a 230 volt input circuit connected the standard parts are the most powerful (thickest and fastest) and will last the longest when running at full output power.

-You certainly can use the Finecut parts when running on 230 volt input power. Use them when you need slower speeds (intricate cutting on thin materials).

Jim Colt Hypertherm

I've got a Hypertherm 30xp and have been using it a fair bit lately (hobby use). The other day I used the fine cut nozzle on 120 v and was surprised at how fast it cut through 3/16" plate at a 20 A setting. I usually run it on 240 V using the general cutting tip and leave the amperage setting all the way up (30A). My question is, should I be adjusting the amperage for different thickness metal or just leave the amperage at max? Are there any advantages / disadvantages to using a lower amperage setting, other than having a higher duty cycle on lower amperage settings? Will my consumables be damaged faster by using the max setting on thinner materials?