PA 200 ST & LN-25

/ PA 200 ST & LN-25 #1  

Shield Arc

Tractor
John Deere, 4200
Got all the downed trees taken care of, from the storm that blew through. So I thought I'd see how my brother-n-law's PowerArc 200 ST would do running some .045" NR-212 self shielded flux core wire. This little machine sure runs hot! 104-AMPS for flat welding. 80-AMPS for vertical up hill. I don't think it did to bad my self!:cool:

Attachments

• 104 AMPS.JPG
    104 AMPS.JPG
    110.6 KB · Views: 331
  • 80 AMPS.JPG
    80 AMPS.JPG
    109.4 KB · Views: 592
  • Fillet slag.JPG
    Fillet slag.JPG
    91 KB · Views: 193
  • Fillet clean.JPG
    Fillet clean.JPG
    97.5 KB · Views: 173
  • V up slag.JPG
    V up slag.JPG
    96.1 KB · Views: 271
  • V up clean.JPG
    V up clean.JPG
    108.9 KB · Views: 196
   / PA 200 ST & LN-25 #2  
That's great news! Now if I see a VS wire feeder on CL for cheap money, I might pick it up.

I would have been afraid that the PA200ST (or any inverter) wouldn't play nice with a wire feeder. Does the wire feeder require 120 v AC, or does it get it's power from the weld current?

/ PA 200 ST & LN-25
On the inside of the LN-25 there is a switch. CV / VV, (right above the drive rolls) on these welders you'll want VV. See the little red clamp on the ground clamp? (In the picture above). That's how the LN-25 gets its power.

Can't wait to get back down to California to my brother-n-law's and try my PowerArc 300 with the LN-25.:cool:

Attachments

• My LN 25 guide tube.JPG
    My LN 25 guide tube.JPG
    65.9 KB · Views: 693
   / PA 200 ST & LN-25 #4  
That is a cool setup! How do the vs wire feeders running on a cc welder do compared to a regular mig? In comparison is it any harder or does it require different technique?
Also SA, I know you've had experience with the Everlast 200, 200st, and 300; how do they compare running 7018 and 6010? Which do you like best?

/ PA 200 ST & LN-25
When running an LN-25 on a CV power source, I can't tell any difference from a dedicated Mig welder. On a CC power source there is very little difference. The LN-25 can handle some of the worst engine drive welders I've ever seen. The first generation LN-25s, some of Miller's engine drives we had to lower the RPMs because the welder put out too many volts. So there was no wire feed until you struck an arc. Far as I'm concerned the LN-25 is a fantastic wire feeder!:cool2:

Between the PowerArc 200, PowerArc 300, and the PowerArc 200ST. I'd say the PowerArc 200 is the weak link. Only reason I say that, is you have to hold a very close arc length when running 6010. But with 7018, it welds every bit as nice as my $5,500.00 Lincoln V350-Pro!:shocked:

In my opinion, all of these Everlast welders just love ESAB's Sureweld 10P-Plus 6010. And ESAB's Atom Arc 7018, and ESAB's Acclaim 7018.

/ PA 200 ST & LN-25 #6  
Thanks I appreciate your experience and info. I'd kicked around getting a wire feeder and using it with my Dialarc, but hadn't considered it could be used with a little stick inverter too. If I went that route it would add a lot of versatility being able to burn stick or wire in the field off my generator, vs just mig or flux core with the 211 like I'm leaning toward. And I do have a few hundred pounds of Atom Arc 7018's! :drink:
I doubt the wire feeder would weld nearly as nice as the new Millermatic though...
Is it easy to set the feeder up with shielding gas?

/ PA 200 ST & LN-25
I doubt the wire feeder would weld nearly as nice as the new Millermatic though...

Is it easy to set the feeder up with shielding gas?
How much you wanna bet?;) My Lincoln V350-Pro, and my LN-25 will weld circles around a Millermatic.

Sure just need a gas regulator / flow meter, and some hose. Be very careful if you buy a used LN-25! Some come without a gas solenoid, and without a contactor. Without a contactor the wire is hot at all times. The old LN-22s were that way. Amazing how many contact tips you go through when the wire is hot all the time.

Attachments

• Cart side.JPG
    Cart side.JPG
    190.9 KB · Views: 211
  • LN25 gasb.JPG
    LN25 gasb.JPG
    273.7 KB · Views: 204
  • LN25 gasf.JPG
    LN25 gasf.JPG
    202 KB · Views: 211
  • LN25 gas solenoid.jpg
    LN25 gas solenoid.jpg
    226.4 KB · Views: 207
   / PA 200 ST & LN-25 #8  
On the inside of the LN-25 there is a switch. CV / VV, (right above the drive rolls) on these welders you'll want VV. See the little red clamp on the ground clamp? (In the picture above). That's how the LN-25 gets its power.

Can't wait to get back down to California to my brother-n-law's and try my PowerArc 300 with the LN-25.:cool:

I have a PA300 too(amazon mis-priced deal) , and I am egear to hear how the hot start/arc force effect wire feed welding.

I took a look on Craigslist tonight and saw an LN-25 listed for $1000. Looked like a newer model in good shape. What would be a good price for a used LN-25?

https://worcester.craigslist.org/tls/5271318261.html

Last edited:
   / PA 200 ST & LN-25 #9  
Whoa.. slow down you experts. What did you just do? Hooked your Stick Welder up to the wire feed of a mig welder?

Or is the wire feeder a dedicated piece of equipment that fancy welders own so they can change the power heads....

Intrigued, will never do it as my Mig is a lincoln 180C but intrigued...

/ PA 200 ST & LN-25 #10  
Whoa.. slow down you experts. What did you just do? Hooked your Stick Welder up to the wire feed of a mig welder?

Or is the wire feeder a dedicated piece of equipment that fancy welders own so they can change the power heads....

Intrigued, will never do it as my Mig is a lincoln 180C but intrigued...

The LN-25 is the feeder part of MIG welder. It can be atached to a constant current stick welder because it can vary the wire speed to obtain the right voltage.
Neat trick really. A normal MIG welder you set the voltage and the wire speed, and the amount of current is the result, and with the LN-25 you set the current and desired voltage, and the amount of wire speed is the result.