AR500 or other "gonog" steel

/ AR500 or other "gonog" steel #1  

Chain Bender

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota L3200
finally got access to some picked peanut fields that Have some straight line distances over 100 yards. I', wanting to make a few (3 or 4) gongs to set up between 800-1500 yards. I see 1/2" plates of AR-500 for sale in catalogues for some stiff prices and I'm sure they have some pretty "heavy" shipping costs as well. Anyone here have a close guess as to cost of this stuff per pound or sq. ft.?

Thanks in advance.
CB

/ AR500 or other "gonog" steel #3  
I looked into buying AR-500 plate, but figured out it was cheaper to buy the targets already cut out.
Free shipping too
Here's what I bought:
Amazon.com : Shooting Targets : Sports & Outdoors

The 12" gong in 3/8" looks good. I have welded two rail road plates (the part that holds the rail to the cross tie) together, but I have two issues; one is welding up the square holes, that's a lot of rod to weld the holes up; and two is even with 154 gr 7.62x39 SP I get at least an 1/8" 'divit'. No deformation on back side, just a small crater on impact face; so even though they are thick, and heavy as heck, I don't know it is worth welding up all the holes if it will only last 100-200 shots. Havent shot it with 185 gr FMJ 7.62x54R, but I am curious...

How far back do y'all feel ok shooting FMJ rifle rounds at steal. I've read 100 yards, but people are shooting pistols at steal at 7 yards. Don't have 100 yards worth of range at my place...

Not trying to hijack the thread..

/ AR500 or other "gonog" steel #4  
if you mount the targets so they angle down a little, they may last a bit longer, and deflect the shrapnel downwards.

/ AR500 or other "gonog" steel #5  
I've got very few divits on the face of my 8" x .5" when shooting .223, .247, .308 and 30-06.
Usually shooting at 260 yards, but have shot as close as 100 yards.
There are a few small chunks missing from the edge, apparently an edge shot can blow a bit of steel away. Center shots barely have any depth to them at all.
I have a 4" x .5" as well, but it's so lightweight that anything over a .223 swings it so hard that it wraps around the framework (it's hanging on two 6" chains)

I wouldn't angle the targets only slightly when shooting close, the lead sprays out in all directions and a slight angle may send the upwards lead back at you.
Angling them quite a bit would probably not be an issue though, as the spray would probably be away from you then.

/ AR500 or other "gonog" steel
Thanks for the responses. I forget what site I was looking at, but the 8" AR500 gongs were like 32.xx with 18.xx shipping. The Amazon link is definitely cheaper.

Any suggestions for rods and heat to weld two 4" wide X 3/8" thick bush hog blades together? I have some knock down targets made out of them and they are hard as ****. 270 wsm at 100 yards doesn't even dent them. They take a good beating and stand up to the pressure. Just wondering how good/well the weld would hold up. I know it would be the weak spot.

tks
CB

/ AR500 or other "gonog" steel #8  
Thanks for the responses. I forget what site I was looking at, but the 8" AR500 gongs were like 32.xx with 18.xx shipping. The Amazon link is definitely cheaper.

Any suggestions for rods and heat to weld two 4" wide X 3/8" thick bush hog blades together? I have some knock down targets made out of them and they are hard as ****. 270 wsm at 100 yards doesn't even dent them. They take a good beating and stand up to the pressure. Just wondering how good/well the weld would hold up. I know it would be the weak spot.

tks
CB

I would use 7018 1/8 125 amps DC adjust heat as needed depending on welder

I have seen tests with other rods like 7014 up against 7018 for durability in hammer blow test, and 7018 usually wins.

/ AR500 or other "gonog" steel #9  
What kind of steel are bush hog blades? Available in normal channels as plate or bar stock?

Bruce