Cutting torch

/ Cutting torch #1  

Oldpath05

Tractor
none
One would expect on a welding forum that there would be a thread on cutting torches, acetylene etc. guess not, after going through ten pages and the search button, I gave up. My cheap Chinese Ebay cutting torch stop working with only being 2 weeks old. I like to replace it with a USA made brand, good luck with that right.
So far I looked at Smith brand, on the big/long and expensive side, $400.00, not practical for garage use, going to give UniWeld and AmeriFlame a look see, I want a short/small-ish torch, and something I can depend on for more then two weeks and I can buy without a house mortgage.

/ Cutting torch #2  
Uni-Weld and Victor are of the same quality and most parts will interchange. Either of them are great torches and gauges. I have used both on construction jobs for years with no problems. The 100 series Victor / Uniweld is plenty of torch for the hobbist. That is what I bought for my shop and it works great.

/ Cutting torch #3  
Another endorcement on the Victor Torches.
My set is over 30 years old and works great. Always careful to shut off the tanks and purge the regulators after using in addition to removing all tension on the regulator settings between uses.
B. John

/ Cutting torch #4  
Victor cutting torches are NOT small! They seem like they're 5 feet long when you're trying to cut some detail. :)

The best small cutting torch I had was from a Sears map-gas kit I bought about 30+ years ago. I used it with A/O. That thing cut angled V-notches in 3/4" plate. I still use the plates for bearing removers/press plates. It finally gave up the ghost a couple of years ago when the mixer area deteriorated. Most likely my fault (overheated) but I wouldn't hesitate to buy another if they sold them separately. It got a lot of use and paid for it self many times over. About all I use A/O for now is heating or preheating. Hard to find a good small cutting torch without a major investment. I would just soon invest in a budget plasma cutter and dump the tanks.

/ Cutting torch #5  
Victor cutting torches are NOT small! They seem like they're 5 feet long when you're trying to cut some detail. :)

The best small cutting torch I had was from a Sears map-gas kit I bought about 30+ years ago. I used it with A/O. That thing cut angled V-notches in 3/4" plate. I still use the plates for bearing removers/press plates. It finally gave up the ghost a couple of years ago when the mixer area deteriorated. Most likely my fault (overheated) but I wouldn't hesitate to buy another if they sold them separately. It got a lot of use and paid for it self many times over. About all I use A/O for now is heating or preheating. Hard to find a good small cutting torch without a major investment. I would just soon invest in a budget plasma cutter and dump the tanks.

I have several Victor cutting torches. The smallest is this WH270FC=V with a CA270-V cutting attachment and #0 0-3-101 tip (I have different size tips). It is about 16" long. I see a similar new one on Ebay for $125.
I bought this one in new condition at a flea market for $50. Its a good size for homeowner use.

Attachments

• DSCN1694 (Large).JPG
    DSCN1694 (Large).JPG
    296 KB · Views: 572
   / Cutting torch #6  
I've always had Blueshield brand from Air Liquide. Not certain who manufactures them. Perhaps Concoa or Airco...?

Anyhow, excellent quality but if I was starting out or had to do it over again I would probably go GENUINE Victor.

image-579893483.jpg

Terry

/ Cutting torch #7  
One would expect on a welding forum that there would be a thread on cutting torches, acetylene etc. guess not, after going through ten pages and the search button, I gave up.

Yeah, plasma cutters are the "cool tool" now. Fine, great for cutting. IMHO a good set of torches is step #1. Then graduate to a plas. if you have that much cutting to do. Seems so many either don't know or have forgotten the usefullness of heat, and lots of it(rose bud) for a wide variety of heating, bending, straightening and loosening frozen or stuck parts.
Check with Maine Oxy, they will have several "grades" of o/a torches and be able to service them if needed.:thumbsup:

/ Cutting torch #8  
Victor is widely available, which is a plus. Good quality.

I have a Air Liquide torch at home thats been excellent, problem is consumables , like tips, arent readily available away from AL. Excellent quality though.

Consider getting Oxy/Propane setup right out of the box. Propane is much more reasonably priced, and available everywhere.

/ Cutting torch
Excellent feed-back, more then expected.
I was at a 2 welding shops yesterday, one was where I have my refill contracts, he sell's Uniweld torches made in USA, with various sizes, and Victor $100.00 cheaper, I think they are made China now, Victor is what I had 20 years ago, lasted well and was replace 3 times in the past 3 years by cheaper Chinese Victor STILE torches, had enough of them.

Before I buy I wanted to check out Maine Oxy, he carried Smith brand and Victor, the Smith torch set up he had was way to long, I don't know if they make shorter torches or not but he didn't have one. I showed the (M.O. dealer) Victor stile torch I had, he took it apart to see what was wrong with it, and in a Christian way he said "yup your Blanked", he tried to fix it but on the acetylene side it was block up with something and that's why I was only getting a small flame, he also said if I could get a deal on the size Uniweld torch I liked, buy it he said they make a great torch, most unpressurized salesman I ever seen.

/ Cutting torch
Yeah, plasma cutters are the "cool tool" now. Fine, great for cutting. IMHO a good set of torches is step #1. Then graduate to a plas. if you have that much cutting to do. Seems so many either don't know or have forgotten the usefullness of heat, and lots of it(rose bud) for a wide variety of heating, bending, straightening and loosening frozen or stuck parts.
Check with Maine Oxy, they will have several "grades" of o/a torches and be able to service them if needed.:thumbsup:

You took the words right out of my mouth, plasma cutting is the best,$2 or $3000.00 and your all set to cut 1"+ inch steel and anything metallic, but not good for heating up rusted bolts, and everything you said is what I need to do.