Splicing welding cable

/ Splicing welding cable #1  

bdog

Elite Member
Tractor
John Deere 6130M
Normally I just use twecos so I can make longer or shorter leads if need be. This however is a non welding application.

I purchased a high amp 12 volt air compressor and it has 4AWG cables that are short. You are supposed to mount the battery right beside it. Due to the application I can't do this and the manual says you can make the cables up to 20' if you use 1/0. I need about 15' so this is my plan.

The ground cable on the compressor is bolted on and will be easy to swap but the positive is going to have to be cut and joined to the 1/0 somehow. I don't think they make the butt splice connectors for wire sizes so different. Was thinking of maybe cutting a 1" piece of cooper pipe and putting them both in it and using my swedge tool? Maybe solder as well?

/ Splicing welding cable #2  
I like your idea. It would be the 'tidiest'

Using the Tweco's would work also. Might have to sleeve the connector on the 4AWG end.

OR Use Anderson connectors and install them on your truck or tow vehicle also for auxiliary jump starting. You could get multi use out of your "extensions"

/ Splicing welding cable #3  
Power Poles kick *** for 12v usage. They are the smaller version of the Anderson connectors people talk about.

Anderson Power Poles, Connectors & Housings - Powerpoles for Sale | Powerwerx They have some of the Anderson SB connectors rated to over 300@ of draw. More of a ham radio site, but the hams can draw some serious wattage for some of their rigs.

I keep thinking about installing Anderson's for general usage on my trucks (jump starting, winching, etc.)

/ Splicing welding cable #4  
The larger anderson's would work just fine but check at a welding supply as there exists a specific set of male/female connectors* to lengthen welding cables.

I first came across Andersons on electric fork lift truck batteries where there was serious amperages in the circuits.
My tractor, vehicles and jumper cables are all Anderson equipped.\

*by design they need a twist to lock and therefor wont 'un plug' as you drag out the welding cables.

Anderson has 3 ranges of sizes (maybe even 4) and they have an amperage range.

/ Splicing welding cable #5  
I have done the copper tube thing but do not rely on crimping as the tube is too thin to hold the tension. Fill the hole thing with solder. Check with an electrical supply house; they do make reducing splices but to have a positive crimp on 1/0 wire you really need a professional model crimp tool either hand or hydraulic. I would insulate with shrink wrap tube, probably two layers.

Ron

/ Splicing welding cable #7  
   / Splicing welding cable #10  
All of our trucks at work come with the anderson jumber cable systems on the front bumper. My personal truck, which I bought used, had a set of andersons for a warn winch on the front and rear. They looked just like the regular anderson, but they wouldnt connect no matter how hard i tried. I had several old sets of jumbers with anderson on one end and jumper ends on the other. I just swapped out the plastic parts of the warn/andersons for regular andersons so Now I have a place to hook my jumpers on each end of the truck. If I ever buy a winch for the truck, I will just use regular andersons on it. Took one set of jumpers and wired it to my dump trailer battery and now never worry about not having enough juice at the dump.. I dont know how well the andersons will work for welding leads, but mine are rated for 300 amps so they should work, but i would go for the tweeco's if it was me.