welders welders welders

/ welders welders welders #1  

blue9249

Tractor
1950 allis wd
ok, new guy here, i registered awhile ago but rarely post, more of a lurker if you will, soaking up information. anyhow i am looking into buying a welder, i am an aspiring agricultural diesel technician, so i wont be welding every day but weld more than the average joe, i have also taken welding classes in highschool, in this class it covered oxy- actelene welding, stick welding and mig welding, so i have some experience with multiple processes. i have mig welded more than stick but i have more confidence in my welds when stick welding, i know all to well that you can get good looking mig welds that wont even hold a mailbox on its post ( long story of an incident at work that i still get crap over lol).

to be clear this welder is not going to be for work, we have a miller mig welder that handles all the duties we need done there, this welder is going to be for home, where i will make occasional repairs and build some stuff. i am going to college in october and am entertaining the idea of building an enclosed trailer, as i am having a hard time finding a trailer that is built to the specs that i would like. after college i want the trailer to be built heavy enough to haul wood in, and all the trailers you can buy will not be built heavy enough for that, i have also thought about buying a used trailer and adding heavier axles and beefing up the frame, which would still include welding more metal in the frame.

i have noticed everlast and longevity welders sponsor this section, i am wondering if these welders are well built or if they are typical china grade welders, i have also looked into eastwood welders as well and have heard good and bad.

as for which process i am going to be buying that is still up in the air, i could make a stick welder work, and i could also make a mig welder work. mig welding is easier, and can also be more productive ( not having to switch electrodes all the time and ease of getting good looking beads) but on the other hand stick welding while harder to get good looking welds is also easier to spot bad welds, and like i said earlier i feel more confident while stick welding, but even that is slowly changing as i mig weld more at work. just this Thursday i did a little custom fabrication with the miller mig welder. We had a shelving unit that had a damaged leg that osha was not too pleased about, i cut two 3 inch pieces of angle iron and welded them together to make a 6 inch c channel, one side was welded to the leg of the shelve and the other side i fabricated an L bracket from some flat stock that i welded to the c channel and then anchored to the cement floor. i painted the whole deal black and since i spent considerable time prepping the angle iron and grinding down the weld the other mechanics and even the manager couldnt tell the c channel started its life as angle iron lol.

hopefully with all my ramblings you can gather enough info to help make a recommendation, if not just ask some questions i will be more than happy to answer.

/ welders welders welders #2  
You should look into a multi-process welders. SMAW, GTAW, GMAW all in the same unit. When it comes to Mig welding there is no substitute for power. Especially if you want to build a trailer.

/ welders welders welders #3  
<snip> i am going to college in october and am entertaining the idea of building an enclosed trailer, as i am having a hard time finding a trailer that is built to the specs that i would like. after college i want the trailer to be built heavy enough to haul wood in, and all the trailers you can buy will not be built heavy enough for that, i have also thought about buying a used trailer and adding heavier axles and beefing up the frame, which would still include welding more metal in the frame.<snip>

What are the specs you want for a trailer? Have you looked into a surplus military trailer?

I've been looking for a 10K GVW 14' enclosed trailer for about 3 years on CL and only have seen 1 or 2.

However the military is disposing of a lot of trailers which are built for heavy loads, and they could probably be modified to carry heavy loads.

/ welders welders welders #4  
I bought a MIG/TIG/Stick Miller MultiMatic 200. It runs on 120v or 240v. All said and done (bottle, TIG kit, spoolgun) it's somewhere towards $3000. If I had to do it again I'd buy two $1149 Everlasts 211s then I wouldn't have to transport the Miller between my two shops. Or that 251 looks cool too.

It doesn't take much to get your MIG welding such that welds don't break. You could be making some simple error. I don't know how to tell what you're doing wrong but possibly could if I was watching you weld. Good luck with that one. Hopefully someone nearby can help you with that before you get working on that trailer. My MM200 stick-welds very nicely, much better than I recall with the old buzz-box, but I only stick weld for sport. Or if I have to jam it down into a dirty old crack. :shocked: MIG is much more productive (for me).

/ welders welders welders #6  
I recently purchased Lincoln 210mp for $1,065 delivered and no tax off eBay from Canada.

Really like it so far.. MIG, stick and tig.

Check duty cycle on whatever you look at.

/ welders welders welders #7  
Check duty cycle on whatever you look at.

They are all at least 20% and does anybody ever run up against that? I suppose you could,,,,, if you were trying to hit it, Amps maxed, in a production shop, boss crackin' the whip.....:laughing: You'd have to be building a 5th wheel trailer, trying to finish cuz you have to go haul something in 18 hours.

OK yeah.....that would be fun in a way. But not on TBN, here we cut & fit parts to a gnats arse, then flapper-disc the weld area, write down the Amps, mic the welding wire, reset the breaker just to be sure, scrape out the nozzle & adjust the welding table a couple times. The welder is stone cold. :D

But really, aren't they all 20% and isn't 20% plenty? Waiting for the welder to cool down that one time in 5 years would be a challenge I think. Certainly it has happened, but I have never seen it nor even heard of it with my own ears.

/ welders welders welders #8  
20% duty cycle would be a huge issue for me! I'm new to this welding and fabricating game, so I must be doing it wrong:eek:. I cut, fit, and tack everything together. Check my measurements, and alignment. Then go into the welding mode.

Attachments

• pipe brace 2.jpg
    pipe brace 2.jpg
    189.7 KB · Views: 195
  • Horse heads.jpg
    Horse heads.jpg
    171.4 KB · Views: 198
  • Complete 1.jpg
    Complete 1.jpg
    218.8 KB · Views: 193
   / welders welders welders #9  
20% duty cycle would be a huge issue for me! I'm new to this welding and fabricating game, so I must be doing it wrong:eek:. I cut, fit, and tack everything together. Check my measurements, and alignment. Then go into the welding mode.

Don't worry, if you keep at it in a few years you will get it figured out. :laughing: Ed